• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Treating depression for the bedridden - HELP!

A

Altaira

Hi folks,

I have a friend who used to be extremely physically active; sports, camping, four-wheeling, etc. She used to manage a number of women's clothing boutiques. She is now largely bedridden due to a degenerative disc disease that will never get better. She is terribly depressed because of it. How can we treat her depression when she is not able to get out of bed and activate? All she can do is lay there and watch TV. Any suggestions?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Helping others usually makes me feel better. During lockdown here, people volunteered to phone the elderly and disabled who were shielding at home, isolating for safety from covid.

Could she volunteer in something that takes place over the phone or online?

We also have mental health phone lines that are voluntary, like the samaritans. I don't know if you have something similar but there are lots of lonely people who would love a regular phone call to talk about their life and happy memories too, just someone to talk to.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Altaira. Welcome to the forum. I think you are a wonderful friend. It is very tough to have to come to terms with being bedridden. I can fully understand why your friend is depressed. I would suggest they have phone therapy. I think therapy will be very helpful with helping them come to terms with their diagnosis.