• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Travel insurance

S

suzy

Do you declare bipolar? Im going on holiday soon and got a quote with the insurance company we have used before but then it said it does not cover bipolar, and you can click to continue without cover for the medical condition

I googled some other insurers and it seems they add a lot on the price to cover bipolar.

Would it be wise to get travel insurance without cover for bipolar seeing as I don't really have any big problems with it and have been stable on meds for a few years?

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hmm, well i would use my discression? If you've been stable for years then why declare it, but if you havent and your not stable then thats something different. All i would say is just use your judgement.

Good luck.

B

BP2

I declare it, but I am not insured for it either. I have never shopped around, I just assumed no-one would offer cover.

S

suzy

So does anyone know of any companies which have a cheaper excess cost, so far i have found one which charges £80 for cover I am wondering if there is a cheaper one?

X

x0phoenix

i have spent ages searching to cover bipolar and epilsepsy and have found axa travel insurance will quote covering both 2 of us on policy for £90 worldwide annually. hope this helps other people with trying to get travel insurance the excess on this included in quote price is waivered at £96 and £90 with £50 excess

R

Robbert

Do you declare bipolar? Im going on holiday soon and got a quote with the insurance company we have used before but then it said it does not cover bipolar, and you can click to continue without cover for the medical condition

I googled some other insurers and it seems they add a lot on the price to cover bipolar.

Would it be wise to get travel insurance without cover for bipolar seeing as I don't really have any big problems with it and have been stable on meds for a few years?
American Express insured me with severe mental health problems for no extra cost.

OR

If you don't feel it's that bad, you could just take the risk.

It also depends where you're going. If healthcare in the country you're going to is ridiculously expensive..then maybe insurance is worth it. If you're going somewhere remote and poor..well..what's the point getting insured anyway? If you see what I mean.

S

Shine

Hey,

I had endless trouble finding cover for my bipolar, especially as I'm currently backpacking. I found essential travel insurance the best and cheapest and they definitely cover psychological illness.

The only issue with not declaring it is that it technically makes your whole policy invalid because you have failed to disclose required information. In the case of those ones that say "we dont cover it but will still insure you for anything else"....well, they can blame anything on bipolar can't they? You fell off a jet ski...it's because you were manic and unable to control it etc etc.

I'd say definitely get it because should anything happen then it will be worth the extra cost to know you're covered.

Hope this helps xx