• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Travel Insurance Which Covers Bipolar Disorder ??

K

Karen Jane

Hi I am travelling to Florida next Wednesday I have contacted a multitude of Insurance Companies and am turned down again and again and again. Can anyone help?? Have you managed to get a policy which covers Bipolar Disorder ? If you have could you PLEASE reply telling me which company x

K

Karen Jane

Thankyou so much for your suggestions. I need insurance that specifically covers Bipolar Disorder. I went to Florida 3 years ago and was hospitalised due to full blown mania with major psychotic features. Foolishly I thought that general cover did cover everything but it didn't and it cost me roughly £6000 OUCH !!! I have contacted Free Spirit and they have quoted £517 which was better than Allclear who quoted £2195. Will carry on with the mind.org suggested insurers and will let you know how I get on

T

TOONAFISH

hi

im just wondering, do you think travelling to florida was what sparked your episode? or were you feeling a bit high/ low before you went?

i only ask as it was my husband and i's dream to travel america once the kids were grown up a bit.

when i had my first manic episode last year they told me to be careful of travelling abroad eg time zones it has totally freaked me out as i cant put it out of my head

S

suzy

whats going on here i posted about this not long ago, I have had to pay £89 extra when I see I could have got it cheaper!

Never mind I made my parents pay it anyway as I said I wasn't going to. I mean I have been stable for years going to sun is not going to make me go lala

K

Karen Jane

Hi travelling to Florida was definately not the problem as I have visited before and after that episode. I got insurance last year from a company named Orbis who will not insure this time although nothing has changed since I declared Bipolar on that occasion. My problem in hindsight was caused by my psychiatrist I had been depressed and just over a month prior to departure I told him that I wasn't going to go with my husband and 2 boys even though we would have lost my fare etc. He said he was going to ensure that I had a great time and started me on Efexor 75mg then he doubled it a fortnight later to 150mg and then doubled it again the week that I was due to depart sending me off to America on Efexor at 300mg!!! whilst continuing Lamotrogine and Seroquel - I did not know that Efexorl could cause a manic switch and trusted him completely I was basically a walking time bomb that well and truly exploded

K

Karen Jane

Suzy sorry new to forum - could you tell me the link to your thread please. Call me thick but are you saying that your insurance was £89 more than my quote?

S

suzy

no it was £12 basic insurance then the £89 excess to cover bipolar (more than insurance)

In reply to Karen I can't believe he put you on effexor! When I was researching drugs and mentioned that to my psyc she said that is one to steer clear of for bipolar as it can induce a high. I just can't believe your psyc put you on that, he should have known it can increase serotonin too much.

K

Karen Jane

Travel Insurance SORTED :clap::LOL::clap:

Am Posting this thread as a reference for anyone who has or may have in the future problems getting travel insurance whilst declaring Bipolar Disorder. I declared that I had been sectioned involuntarily once in the past 2 years and that I get psychotic when manic. The latter being the problem eg. Orbis (who insured with full cover on my last trip to Florida - no claims submitted during that trip on policy) would insure for £200 but when I said I could become psychotic they refused cover unless the condition was excluded.

Insurance companies that will insure me including Bipolar Disorder to travel to Florida for 36 days are Free Spirit £517.79, Flexicover Direct £520.63, Citybond £573.27, Travel Insurance Club £520.63 and Allclear £2195. MIA Insurance may have quoted if cover was for less than 30 days

S

suzy

That's loads of money!!!!! Oh my god but then I suppose if you are likely to go mad and go in hospital over there you need it

P

paul_william

hi karen ,

i think this serious case because very few company allow travel insurance to us and insured us with this kind of disorder. but i have one insurance company.i hope this will fulfil your needs...............
see this URL:- www.multitrip.com

P

PinGNU

hi karen ,

i think this serious case because very few company allow travel insurance to us and insured us with this kind of disorder. but i have one insurance company.i hope this will fulfil your needs...............
see this URL:- www.multitrip.com
I just had a quote from Morethan but I have not been sectioned for 4 years and I am just taking medication £116.00 using compare the market . Scary when I found companies would not even cover me considering I am a low risk.

M

Marsha1

Totally agree. I once took desvelxavine, an Australian cousin of effexor. It send me psychotic and manic and i had to spend a week involuntarily in an institution. However there may be other antidepressants taken in small doses and tolerated well by people. I personally have never been able to get a prescription for any