• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Trauma from mental health hospital

D

DD040894

I will write this as short as I can, about serious trauma that happenned in mental health HOSPITAL to me this year. I wont say in which country I live, but you will be scared with the fact that I live in Europe and that THIS is still happenning in hospitals around the world. At least here.

First, one "good" doctor here screwed me up with his interpretations. He said some serious insults to me and traumatised me. I even sold my golden neckless for his psychotherapy and he destroyed everything that was healthy in me.On second meeting he said some WRONG and serious insults to me. I have a huge shame so I cant even say what.

Then the hospital came because of that serious trauma with "doctor". I was before diagnosed with depression F33.2 and borderline F60.3. They talked to me for whole 2 minutes and they gave me diagnose F20. In two minutes. I told them that one doctor was doing some unappropriate dream interpretations for me. They didnt even listen to me. They just gave me injection: haloperidol,diazepam and something more. I slept for 4 hours and woke up even worse. Everything in hospital was scary. They didnt let me walk couple of steps, they were yelling at me(yes, hospital people, not patients).Their therapy is: tie people for hands and feet and give them haloperidol. They tied me for bed. I felt even worse. They degraded my personality. It was scary and awful. I started screaming that I will kill myself, they threatenedthat they will leave me like that for 5 days Can you believe it?
I didnt have voices. Doctor who was there came when I was screaming and she didnt even ask me how I feel, she just said "I know.You have voices". Crazy reta*ded woman.I see there is no help in that crazy hospital.
I was in that "hospital" for full 25 days. I think nothing like this is happenning anywhere in Europe. And to say that I didnt want to enter that hospital, just they sent me from only decent hospital in country to there. Writing my name to approve entering that hospital was one of worst things I did in life.

I just named few things that happenned here. On first day. I could write a book about it.
Ironically, there is one book about that hospital from 1980's when one psychologist wrote about what are they doing to people there. Whole country was schocked. I heared about that book few months ago. But as I see, nothing has changed. I feel sorry for everybody there.

I came out from hospital as bad as I was when I came in. They even gave me wrong therapy which was only good thing in my traumatic life.Btw I am on 6th year of medicine studies and they still treated me like pig at best.
You can thank God that nothing like that is happenning in your countries. Hopefully.

Thanks for reading.

P

Purpleplum

Can you speak up to an agency that monitors hospitals and patient welfare?

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What a truly horrendous thing to have happened to you. I am so sorry. I cannot even begin to imagine the trauma that must have caused. I really am sorry.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Thanks for taking the time to share, DD. I’m so sorry to hear about what you have endured at the hospital while trying to get help for yourself. I agree with @Purpleplum and urge you to report these happenings to their regulatory body. Usually hospitals have a system of grievance reporting in place. You may be able to reach a patient advocate at the hospital or a grievance coordinator to report these incidents to them. Each hospital is overseen by a regulatory body and often these have reporting options available too. You would just have to ask the folks at the hospital or possibly call your department of health to find out who to send your grievance to.
I really hope that you are recovering from these hurts and traumas and are moving toward a happier and healthier place now. xo, j

D

DD040894

Can you speak up to an agency that monitors hospitals and patient welfare?
Problem is, that hospital is not even in my country. I dont know even if someone monitors hospitals here, like we live in 18th century. :(

D

DD040894

What a truly horrendous thing to have happened to you. I am so sorry. I cannot even begin to imagine the trauma that must have caused. I really am sorry.
Thanks for your empathy.

D

DD040894

Thanks for taking the time to share, DD. I’m so sorry to hear about what you have endured at the hospital while trying to get help for yourself. I agree with @Purpleplum and urge you to report these happenings to their regulatory body. Usually hospitals have a system of grievance reporting in place. You may be able to reach a patient advocate at the hospital or a grievance coordinator to report these incidents to them. Each hospital is overseen by a regulatory body and often these have reporting options available too. You would just have to ask the folks at the hospital or possibly call your department of health to find out who to send your grievance to.
I really hope that you are recovering from these hurts and traumas and are moving toward a happier and healthier place now. xo, j
I today started with this trauma on psychotherapy so it made me write all this experience. System here is so bad, doctors are so bad, health system is so bad, psychiatrists are as bad as you can imagine. Today on therapy while I was desribing those things I felt like I must have done something for this to happen to me, like I deserved it with something. I cried for more than half an hour...

JessisMe

JessisMe

I today started with this trauma on psychotherapy so it made me write all this experience. System here is so bad, doctors are so bad, health system is so bad, psychiatrists are as bad as you can imagine. Today on therapy while I was desribing those things I felt like I must have done something for this to happen to me, like I deserved it with something. I cried for more than half an hour...
I’m sorry to hear this but am glad that you are getting help for what you have been through. Sadly even here in the US people report very traumatic experiences at psychiatric hospitals. I’m not sure what it is about psychiatric hospitals that lend themselves to treating people so poorly but many do. You might be able to find others here who would share their experiences in psychiatric hospitalization to you. It might be interesting to hear about others experiences and help you feel less alone. xo, j

P

Pollypop

DD, you don’t deserve anything like the way you were treated.
It was the hospital that did the wrong things.
NOT YOU.

Nobody should be put through those traumas.
It is horrendous.

Make enquiries however you can to find out how to make
a complaint.

Have you read the book you mentioned about the hospital.?

D

DD040894

DD, you don’t deserve anything like the way you were treated.
It was the hospital that did the wrong things.
NOT YOU.

Nobody should be put through those traumas.
It is horrendous.

Make enquiries however you can to find out how to make
a complaint.

Have you read the book you mentioned about the hospital.?
I havent still. I just found I can buy it on internet. I am scared of reading this type of material, but as soon as I pass through this trauma on psychotherapy I will buy it and write you about it. :)

Yes, problem is that I am thinking about what did I do to deserve this kind of humiliation. :( Hopefully, it is for some bigger reason...

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You did not do anything to deserve the way they treated you. You must never think you deserved that. They were so abusive and cruel.

P

Pollypop

I havent still. I just found I can buy it on internet. I am scared of reading this type of material, but as soon as I pass through this trauma on psychotherapy I will buy it and write you about it. :)

Yes, problem is that I am thinking about what did I do to deserve this kind of humiliation. :( Hopefully, it is for some bigger reason...
DD, YOU did NOT do anything to DESERVE that kind of treatment and humiliation.

The bigger reason is that the hospital and it’s staff were barbaric.
The way you were treated was cruel and abusive

I am wondering whether you would consider reading the book while still in therapy?
It may help to give support during therapy.

On the other hand it may interfere with your personal experience that you need
to work through in therapy.

I really don’t know.
These are just my thoughts.

Take care

D

DD040894

I today tried to talk to my mother about this experience, but she doesnt understand me. Only my psychotherapeut and you guys here can understand it. It is like "You cant understand mental problem unless you had it on your own". That talk with my mother made me feel even worse. Time goes by so slowly.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am so sorry your mother did not understand. I too feel worse when I open up and the person does not understand.