• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Trauma from hospital stay?

T

thouthea

Founding Member
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this so feel free to move it anytime

is it common for people to become extremely scared of doctors and have recurring flashbacks of the bad times they had in hospital?

i can post more details if needed

D

Dollit

Is this a stay as an inpatient within the mental health service? And welcome to the forum. :)

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
welcome :welcome:

i have only been an in patient on three occasions so not got a load of expereince but will share if it helps:hug:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this so feel free to move it anytime

is it common for people to become extremely scared of doctors and have recurring flashbacks of the bad times they had in hospital?

i can post more details if needed
I'd say quite normal to varying degrees. I'd say especially so if you were held under the MHA and experienced CnR and/or forced medication and/or seclusion.

(edited to add, or even viewed it happening to others)

...and of course :welcome:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Thouthea

From a personal point of view I'd say yes to the flashbacks part of your question but in the wider sense I think it depends what the circumstances of the 'bad stay' in hospital were.

:tea:

D

Dollit

The reason I was asking if it was a stay an inpatient with MHS was that I had a very traumatic experience in a regular hospital - I went in to get my tonsils out and ended up with gangrene and nearly dying through blood loss. I'd have to be pretty sick to have a general anaesthetic again and I still get scared just going to the same department for my allergy checks. :(

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I also feel frightenend whenever I pass the hospital where I stayed which is probably the reason why I suffer from terrible flashbacks mainly at night.

I'd like to think that I was well looked after whilst in hospital but somehow I feel they just left me to get on with it and observed me from a distance.

I must stress that I do not have a fear of doctors because of my experiences.

:)