• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Trauma from childhood and adulthood

• Thread starter RockyMountainsGirl
  • Start date
R

RockyMountainsGirl

A psychologist has diagnosed me with C-PTSD. Some people with PTSD experience such fear over a traumatic event or series of events that they can't handle talking about them. I, on the other hand, feel a sense of relief when I talk about my traumatic past. Why do I feel so compelled to unload emotionally even though I experienced great pain? How am I different from others with PTST who are the opposite?

babyblue22

babyblue22

A psychologist has diagnosed me with C-PTSD. Some people with PTSD experience such fear over a traumatic event or series of events that they can't handle talking about them. I, on the other hand, feel a sense of relief when I talk about my traumatic past. Why do I feel so compelled to unload emotionally even though I experienced great pain? How am I different from others with PTST who are the opposite?
I’ve got a diagnosis of PTSD recently & it helps me to talk about it although it can be really hard dealing with flashbacks. Xx

Daisybell

Daisybell

I too feel a sense of relief talking about them. My problem kicks in afterward, wishing I hadn’t disclosed the info. I then worry that it will show my vulnerability and will be used against me...Or that I’m not believed. This sets off the emotions and the trauma comes back to life again. It’s horrendous what it does to my body.

S

SunnyDaze

I think each person with PTSD or cPTSD is different,not that just you are different.

Some can talk about things while others avoid it at all costs.

For awhile I felt the need to talk about it all the time. I think mostly just to get it all out and feel validated.It's not like that much anymore.

Something I realized though was talking about it and processing/working through it in trauma therapy were two totally different things. And therapy was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

I think each person with PTSD or cPTSD is different,not that just you are different.

Some can talk about things while others avoid it at all costs.

For awhile I felt the need to talk about it all the time. I think mostly just to get it all out and feel validated.It's not like that much anymore.

Something I realized though was talking about it and processing/working through it in trauma therapy were two totally different things. And therapy was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.
It sounds as if you got help. I'm looking for help but all the therapists practice cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectic behavior therapy. I'm trying to control my angry emotions these days but I'm really depressed and irritable. It's tough. I need trauma-focused therapy.

carlita

carlita

I think you're fine. A good stepping stone for a good recovery. I haven't experienced a isolated traumatic event but a prolonged one. So, I don't have fear or anything unless I'm triggered which doesn't happen as often as before. I found out if its prolonged you tend to feel it's normal to feel a certain way. Then when you find out its not (as they say), its like trying to discover your real self or real personality. I also think it depends on the trauma too. There's a lot of factors involved. Have you talked with your psychologist about not having "common" symptoms of PTSD? Maybe he or she can ease that doubt?

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Thanks but I'm not fine, and I am trying to find a trauma-focused psychologist and a psychiatrist. I have insomnia and I'm depressed and suicidal, and I experience parasuicidal ideation. I'm distracted when I chat with my family, but unlike you I don't just think about the trauma when I'm triggered, I ruminate about past traumas all the time. I have the same symptoms as someone with borderline personality disorder. I am trying to focus on the present but it's tough. I use some DBT techniques and try to meditate, which does put me back to sleep some nights at 3, 4 or 5 in the morning, but DBT techniques don't work well for people with C-PTSD and trauma because the trauma keeps resurfacing.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@RockyMountainsGirl, I don't want to rain on your parade but I've had repressed traumatic memories come up in meditation, they were something I knew had happened but had suppressed the detail. They don't particularly bother me and I'm a heavy duty meditator, at least an hour a day and sometimes two and half to three hours.