• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Trauma can potentially impact the body and mind for life

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Trauma can potentially impact the body and mind for life

Van der Kolk draws on 30 years of experience to argue powerfully that trauma is one of the West’s most urgent public health issues. The list of its effects is long: on mental and physical health, employment, education, crime, relationships, domestic or family abuse, alcoholism, drug addiction. “We all want to live in a world that is safe, manageable… predictable, and victims remind us that this is not always the case,” says van der Kolk. When no one wants to hear about a person’s trauma, it finds a way to manifest in their body.

And it is not only extreme experiences that linger. Family disturbance or generalised neglect can wire children to be on high alert, their stressed bodies tuned to fight or flight. Or they may be so “numbed out” by keeping demons at bay they can’t engage with life’s pleasures or protect themselves from future trauma. Even parents who don’t attune with their children can do untold damage, van der Kolk argues.

He makes it clear why it’s so important: help parents with their problems, deprivation or social isolation, and you help their kids. “If your parents’ faces never lit up when they looked at you, it’s hard to know what it feels like to be loved and cherished,” he says. Neglect creates mental maps used by children, and their adult selves, to survive. These maps skew their view of themselves and the world. …

…In terms of treatments, van der Kolk argues that “integrating” trauma by turning it into a bad memory, rather than reliving it, in therapy, may be key to recovering from trauma. And he criticises dealing with symptoms rather than causes. He has scary stats: half a million US children and teens take antipsychotic drugs, while privately insured 2 to 5-year-olds on antipsychotics have doubled between 2000 and 2007.

The lifelong cost of burying our traumatic experiences - health - 11 November 2014 - New Scientist

Parissa

Parissa

Very emotive. Delve into past trauma or move on and be a survivor. Is it mind over matter? Do you have a choice to move on? Do you need time to heal from trauma or should you be tough and get back in to the world and not let it ruin the rest of your life? I don't know. I'm verging on becoming a survivor personally but respect many take time to get to that stage. Some need a lot of support. Some need to talk and talk about it. Some need to put it behind them as talking isn't for them.

Kerome

Kerome

So how do you make people form better families? It's funny but there is minimal education around that, or family planning. Antipsychotics for kids are never a good thing, but the root is the cause of the trauma. But instead of creating measures that increase family cohesiveness things seem to be going the other way, the government is pushing capitalism as a way out of the slump.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
So how do you make people form better families?
i think there are comprehensive psychosocial support approaches that can be used, if applied appropriately & compassionately - People criticise it all, as they do everything, But things like Open Dialogue, IFS, & others, can be effective imo - Taking as broad & integrated/integral approach as possible - sensitively considering the circumstances & dynamics of all involved. i think the problem with services & general society is the average attitude & approaches - which still is primarily pathology > label > drug > the problem is the individual/their brain - & then the whole wider social milieu - some very sick & unhealthy cultural & social systems that everyone has to operate under. Simply pointing all that out & even trying to get people to acknowledge & look at it all, let alone address it, usually engenders a lot of hostility, defence & attack. Collectively i think 'we' need to start with a full acknowledgement of what is wrong with everything, before things can be made better. Largely i think a lot of what goes on is just papering over the cracks.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Very emotive. Delve into past trauma or move on and be a survivor. Is it mind over matter? Do you have a choice to move on? Do you need time to heal from trauma or should you be tough and get back in to the world and not let it ruin the rest of your life? I don't know. I'm verging on becoming a survivor personally but respect many take time to get to that stage. Some need a lot of support. Some need to talk and talk about it. Some need to put it behind them as talking isn't for them.

I tried to move on for about 20 years. Didnt work. I fell apart

Parissa

Parissa

I tried to move on for about 20 years. Didnt work. I fell apart
:hug1:

Many days I'm the same. Some days strong some days falling apart. Counselling is helping me toward strength but it's a painstakingly slow process. At want point do we say enough is enough. Is that even possible. Do we have a choice. But can we let it rule the rest of our lives. Again do we have a choice.

I have such bad dreams I can't sleep for long. I'm on my knees with insomnia. A side effect of abuse.

Love Parissa