• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Trauma and the Soul: A psycho-spiritual approach to human development and its interruption

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Trauma and the Soul: A psycho-spiritual approach to human development and its interruption

by Donald Kalsched

Donald Kalsched, Ph. D. - Early Childhood Trauma, Spiritual Development, Jungian Psychology

In Trauma and the Soul, Donald Kalsched continues the exploration he began in his first book, The Inner World of Trauma (1996)—this time going further into the mystical or spiritual moments that often occur around the intimacies of psychoanalytic work. Through extended clinical vignettes, including therapeutic dialogue and dreams, he shows how depth psychotherapy with trauma’s survivors can open both analytic partners to "another world" of non-ordinary reality in which daimonic powers reside, both light and dark. This mytho-poetic world, he suggests, is not simply a defensive product of our struggle with the harsh realities of living as Freud suggested, but is an everlasting fact of human experience—a mystery that is often at the very center of the healing process, and yet at other times, strangely resists it.

With these "two worlds" in focus, Kalsched explores a variety of themes as he builds, chapter by chapter, an integrated psycho-spiritual approach to trauma and its treatment including:

images of the lost soul-child in dreams and how this "child" represents an essential core of aliveness that is both protected and persecuted by the psyche’s defenses;

Dante’s guided descent into the Inferno of Hell as a paradigm for the psychotherapy process and its inevitable struggle with self-destructive energies;

childhood innocence and its central role in a person’s spiritual life seen through the story of St. Exupéry’s The Little Prince;

how clinical attention to implicit processes in the relational field, as well as discoveries in body-based affective neuroscience are making trauma treatment more effective;

the life of C.G. Jung as it portrays his early trauma, his soul’s retreat into an inner sanctuary, and his gradual recovery of wholeness through the integration of his divided self.

This is a book that restores the mystery to psychoanalytic work. It tells stories of ordinary patients and ordinary psychotherapists who, through working together, glimpse the reality of the human soul and the depth of the spirit, and are changed by the experience. Trauma and the Soul will be of particular interest to practicing psychotherapists, psychoanalysts, analytical psychologists, and expressive arts therapists, including those with a "spiritual" orientation.

Donald Kalsched is a Jungian analyst in private practice in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a training analyst with the Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts. He is the author of numerous articles in analytical psychology, and lectures widely on the subject of early trauma and its treatment. His books include The Inner World of Trauma (1996)

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It looks very appealing. There is an extensive amount of literature that i'd like to read. I deeply appreciate the time and effort that you put into posting. I resonate with the essence of your posts at a deep level.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It looks very appealing. There is an extensive amount of literature that i'd like to read. I deeply appreciate the time and effort that you put into posting. I resonate with the essence of your posts at a deep level.
Thank you - that is very kind of you. i sometimes don't feel very valued in what i post, or that it's Not very productive me posting all this material, especially when a lot of it is in a lot of contrast/opposition to a lot of the current Zeitgeist/mass/orthodox opinion on mental health, as brain disorders/take meds.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
That's a coincidence, I've got a tab open to his website at the moment, I was going to order his other book 'The Inner World of Trauma'. I appreciate you posting this stuff too cpu.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That's a coincidence, I've got a tab open to his website at the moment, I was going to order his other book 'The Inner World of Trauma'. I appreciate you posting this stuff too cpu.
Thanks - i'm glad of anywhere where i can be of some kind of assistance/service.

This material isn't everyone's cup of tea - But if it can help some people in some way.

trinny

trinny

perminent hullicinagen perception disorder whats your view on this condition. trauma or extra scensory perception ive battled this one in all areas altered physical life change in yoga meditation health food. soul foood selflessness stiving to serve others just to be normal. this is very hard to achieve in such a society but incredibally fixes a scence of grounding safeness clarity and well being. glad to see another way this however in societys stresses an strains is so very difficult to sustain very interested in your topic friend

trinny

trinny

hi

I simply could not stop reading this an from a small iphone how very inyetesting thank you so much for this knowledge and your insight and time