Trauma and memory loss

H

Hail

I have the folowing questions in my mind: how much a traumatic event and other stressors can affect your memory? I would like to know how you are experiencing this, if you can share it. I will appreciate a lot.
My experience with it was strange, because from normal memory loss cause by anxiety and by dissociation I went in 2 years to forget on daily basis a lot, unusual for an anxiety disorder and (maybe) complex trauma.

Sorry if I am a bitt messy in writing.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi there.Im not quite sure what you're asking,can you be a little bit more specific?

Trauma can cause memory loss.For me it was not remembering all parts of the traumas.

H

Hail

Hi, Thanks for the answer. You got it right.
Wanted to know how this symptom of memory loss manifest in people who had trauma.

And, besides this, I was thinking if there are any cases in which memory loss has become worse, meaning that is more generalised and do not include only the traumatic event.
But forget this...
Because I think in my case is the stress affecting me, then insomnia and psychiatric medication(which many times i overdosed them to get some sleep).

K

KitKat90

Anxiety, insomnia and medications can definitely all cause memory loss. It’s worse for me on the nights I don’t get enough sleep.

H

Hail

God knows what other causes can be.. Hope not to be a neurological condition as well, I m really worried

K

KitKat90

Try not to worry too much. If you feel like you need to get it checked out, I would make an appt with your doctor. What kind of memory problems are you having?

I do have gaps in my memory from trauma in childhood. I have insomnia and anxiety it really does affect my memory. Sleep aids effect me too. So I try not to take them too often anymore. If I’m up for several nights I’ll just deal with it. I’ll eventually fall asleep.

H

Hail

It is a bit hard to describe my memory problems.
But I will try. Sorry for the mistakes, not a native speaker of english.
I dont remember much from what has happend the last the last 1-2 years especially, and it's getting even worse. I can recall with details memories from 4 years ago, but I dont know what I had done yesterday.
I'm almost constantly in a state of panic and mental dezorientation or I'm feeling absent and it happens often in a conversation to ask again what they just told me or to forget what I wanted to say, im forgetting words when trying to make a phrase. Feel like my vocabulary becomed restricted. And I'm in my late 20s...

I had suffered more trauma as an adult comparing to the time I was a child. A member of my family has malignant narcissism and psychopaty, that person destroyed me. I also recently got out from an abusive relationship..but im not sure about that, I'm confused, do not know if I was abused or I was the abuser.

T

Trekster33

When my anxiety is high, I have difficulties taking in new memories and experiences, when my anxiety is fairly well controlled this is less likely to be a problem for me.

Psychogenic amnesia (forgetting parts of the trauma) is a part of all types of PTSD; time skew (unable to remember what happened last week for example) is another.

As my trauma happened between the mid 1980s towards the mid 2000s, songs for example from those years Im patchy at recognising, but songs from more recent years I'm much better because my trauma didn't happen then.

I think something has happened a year ago when it happened longer than that, I was telling a friend about how long another friend had been with his partner and couldn't recall how long they had been together. I can remember better with other people because when some of my traumas occurred they didn't see them or weren't part of trying to help me through them.