• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Transition Forum

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Today saw the first meeting of the Transition Forum - for some background to this, see the thread entitled Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Forum. One of the things decided was that the body should have a different name - it is to be the Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health and Learning Disability LINk Transition Forum (yes I know it is a terrible mouthful but the meeting went for inclusivity over a snappy title! :)). I will probably just call it the Transition Forum for ease and convenience here.

It was a small meeting which was a bit disappointing in some ways, but the positive thing was that it meant everyone was able to put their point of view fully. The main thing agreed was that there would be no one Chair but that four people would share out the duties and responsibilities of chair (including chairing the meeting, attending other meetings, giving out information etc.) - I think this is an excellent idea and really vital for Service User led bodies as it means none of us as individuals has to worry too much about being ill, and also the group will not collapse if someone is ill. I have agreed to be one of the four :rolleyes:. So I will hopefully be able to keep everyone up-to-date here at the very least!

I have to rush out now but I will post some more stuff about this meeting tomorrow.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Transition Group (continued)

Continuing :).

The Group will send representatives to the Steering group which is being set up to establish the Birmingham LINk - this is probably the most important task; ensuring that the voice of Mental Health Service Users is fully represented on the Birmingham LINk.

But the Transition Group is also going to draw up its own Work Plans at the next meeting. The questions of smoking and mobile phone use in in-patient units were discussed at the meeting, and more information is to be sought.

Basically the positive thing is that the Group is now up and running and has a basic structure. So if anyone has anything to say about the provision of services or the treatment of mental health issues in Birmingham let me know. Or better still come to the next meeting :).

And the next meeting will be at 1.30 on Monday 16th June in the BMI (Margaret Street).

I will once again try and issue a reminder nearer the time!

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Sorry, I should have updated this thread before now.

This is for people who are interested in the more activist/political/SUI side of things - if that is not your interest/area please feel free to ignore this thread :).

First the name. The new proper name is - deep breath - the Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health and Learning Disability LINK Transition Network Organisation (BSMHLDLTNO!!). For speed of reference here I will use LTNO (LINk Transition Network Organisation).

Second the next meeting. This will be on Tuesday 17th June at 1.30 in the Birmingham and Midland Institute, Margaret Street. This meeting is going to include a training session for members on the structures and bodies with which we will be dealing.
(the meeting couldn't be on Monday 16th because there is going to be a general LINks transition meeting on that day).

As I say this is an area which probably demands more commitment than some others but if you are really interested in SUI it is, in many ways, the most important body. Anyone who is interested is very welcome to ask me for further info or contact me privately.