• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Transfer of care from CMHT to GP

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I don't feel like I can progress to recovery while working with the CMHT. I don't get on with my CCO, I haven't been attending appointments as I have been unwell and unable to leave the house due to the OCD but they still suspended my therapy appointments. I was in hospital due to overdoses but now I am feeling better, I have a solid support network and I want to transfer my care from the CMHT to the GP.

I don't feel like the therapy sessions are beneficial as all they do is ask about my childhood which they already know about. I have OCD and BPD....I'm going to ask my GP about other medications as the Fluoxetine isn't working.

The only way I can get better is to beat the OCD and BPD and I can only do that myself, I have all the tools for recovery I just don't feel like the CMHT are helping with it.

Is it possible to transfer your care back to the GP?

Thanks
Codes

R

Rose19602

Normally, I would say "get out of there"....especially if I thought that you were being handled inefficiently or something....but this doesn't quite sound like that.

Talking about your childhood is obviously a trigger for you. Were the overdoses connected to this perhaps?

In turn, I suspect, may be wrong, that therapy has been suspended due to the overdoses....to allow time for you to stabilise perhaps, if talking through your childhood has been very upsetting?

The thing is, you will probably now spend some time "in limbo" without therapy and only reliant on you CCO due to this situation. That's obviously a tricky relationship for you, and one that you feel isn't helpful.

Your GP may be more helpful...but may, or may not, be able to allocate the extra time that you need. None of us get more than a 5 minute session these days do we and MH concerns take a lot longer to go through.

I think I would ask for a different CCO and see if that helps at all. With your current state of mind...just out of hospital....I would be reluctant to advise you to check out of services. Sorry.....but I think you need to be there.

x

I have heard before that Fluoxetine "stops" working after a certain amount of time for many people. I should ask about a drug change.

T

tornadoesofthoughts

No, the overdoses weren't related. I just mean every session I go to the psych asks me to repeat my whole history over and over again.

I don't want to cause any conflict so I am unsure how to ask for another CCO. They suspended my sessions as I didn't attend as I had difficulty leaving the house which they know about.....

Just unsure how to proceed....I have a GP appointment on the 22nd, so I could speak to them then I guess :/

R

Rose19602

Actually, I think I owe you an apology.
I spotted a longer post from you clarifying the situation just before I logged out this morning. I should have changed my post then!

I get it now!
I hear that about psychs so many times....you wonder whether they listen don't you?

I would ask for another CCO.....it's the same with counsellors and therapists....either you gel or you don't. They will understand. Give it a try perhaps!

It does sound daft to cancel your sessions because of agoraphobia (?) .... or general issues with getting out. Can't you talk it through with them....or is it more that they don't want to waste places if people don't get there? Couldn't they come up with a solution for this? It must be a common problem.

You could speak to your GP....but frankly, you could do with the therapy couldn't you? I would talk it through with your GP. Is she / he helpful?

I understand your exasperation though.....mental health services are not all they could be are they?

xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tornadoesofthoughts

Sorry I should have wrote it all the in the same post!

My old CCO is now the Team Leader, I text her today and I said I want to transfer my care, but I do think I need to be with the CMHT......I said through no fault of the CCO's I just don't get on with her...

I said I can understand how they think I am not comitted- and I said to her I had difficulty leaving the house.....And then I said I haven't been taking my meds but don't want to stop completely but want a change in meds...

I said I didn't know what to do and I didn't want to go straight to my GP. I guess I'll have to see what she says! :(

How are you doing?

R

Rose19602

Well done for doing all of that....

It's a positive that it's your old CCO who's in charge now....she may understand better and sort things out. I think you did the right thing !

I'm OK thanks. I'm not on meds any more either and fortunately, it's worked out for me. Few stressful bits going on in my life too....but physical rather than mental health related atm. It's just complicated by having a MH background....they don't listen do they? It's an uphill battle. Thanks for asking.

Let me know what the outcome is won't you? I expect this thread will come up on my email feed.
x

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I haven't had a reply yet....I sent a followup text saying I wasn't trying to hassle or complain. I'm supposed to see my new CCO today but I really can't face it....

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I messaged my new care coordinator today, as I couldn't come, not feeling well...can't get out of the house....my mum keeps sending me texts about her killing herself (although she laughed when I asked her about it) and she turned up- all the care coordinator said was 'thanks for letting me know'.
If I've told them I'm feeling unwell can they discharge me? I said I'm not taking my meds but want a med change ...

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I went to see my GP today who is requesting a change of CCO which is good news :)

C

Callalily

I'm pleased you are going to get a change of care coordinator. I hope this helps. I am a bit confused as to whether you are having therapy or it is just your pdoc asking about your childhood?

T

tornadoesofthoughts

Hello

In regards to my childhood every time I see my psych they ask about my childhood. I spoke to the Team Leader at the CMHT who said she gave me my CCO as she is trained in DBT skills.

I'm going to give it another try with the CCO- just hoping she won't hate me! The Team Leader said she was more worried than annoyed....I just hope she will be ok with me now....

T

tornadoesofthoughts

Sorry- what do you mean? :)

N

natalie

HI,

I was an outpatient for a few years, under pshycatry doctors (sorry, I can never spell the word) and also care co-ordinators, when I once had a final pshycartry review, they seriously felt, and it was a registrar not an actual p doctor, that I had been stable and very well, for a very long time, so, here goes, I felt, from 2008, I became discharged, and under GP overall care ever since. However, I am name wise, dormant in the system, only for me I found, the care co-ordinator appointments individually every week or so, were a waste of my own time, so to speak, I wanted to get my hobbies/interests which at that point I was just beginning about to feel settled into planning, and the care-cordinator routine appointments, took up too much of my own time, including travel getting to and back from. Like, this, from 2009, and we're now in 2015, I am happily much better off, doing volunteering, and I realised and knew how well, I was proggressing, I thought hey, I really don't need these appointments, so it just so transpired, back in 2008, though on the medication of the type at that point of time, I became discharged happily on the part of the registrar p doctor.

I feel much much happier, and less stressed, or fretting ab out in terms of travelling to these appointments, and I am much better off, travelling to and from voluntary work roles, getting my hobbies and interests done, only needed by GP for something like, 6 months general and med review, and I am happy. Had I still been under care-corindator, or back then, CPN, in fact the CPN sympatheised for me, just how very pro active I was at that stage in seeking for work.

I had read this thread, but couldn't get round to contributing, I am pleased and glad that you do have planned a change of care - cordinator, and hope maybe there'll be more progression, and not keep going back. I know and I understand that they must have history, but this I feel, is a bit rididcolous, for over and over again.
So I feel sorry for you there.

I hope all goes well, with your new care-coordinator, best wishes, best of luck.

Natalie.

N

natalie

I have a slight correction to make;

I mean to have said, that back in 2006/2007, I started to feel thatthese care co-ordinator appointments travelling to and from were taking up too much of my own time, for volunteering purposes, and hobbies and interests, now it has been from 2008, overall, that I have been happily discharged, through from the CMHT, on the part of the p doctor registrar who felt I was stable, and very well for a long time. Admittedly, I was nevous regarding being away on holiday with parents, and without the net back up of the CMHT unit, just in case of anything, overall though, I happily have been placed under my GP from 2009-2015, and feel very much better and less stressed out, for it. Has or Does anybody else gone through these particular feelings that I have gone through, or am I in fact, one of the few positive mental health characters around, I'd be interested to know?

Natalie.