• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Training and employment needs

F

firemonkee57

Just had a letter through from my mental health trust inviting me to discuss my training and employment needs with someone from vocational services at my local mental health centre.
Letter has completely thrown me. Have no idea what to expect from this and already feeling very anxious/frightened.
Tempted to ignore the letter but know that another one will only be sent out.

Already envisaging that an attack on my benefits will come next. Wondering whether there is any point continuing with the DLA renewal.
Have for a long time thought that mental health workers are nowadays more working for the government than their clients and receiving this letter has fed into that fear/paranoia :(

Seems they can send this kind of thing but as for providing therapy that might help you to more able
to function and cope with such things or something to help with the anxiety/social phobia/social interaction difficulties that makes you terrified of such situations- just forget it.
Already been told i am not suitable for therapy. The injection helps for certain things but it doesn't help for the anxiety etc .
Feeling stressed . Would be even more stressed without the injection.

Have been fighting rising paranoia since news of these welfare reforms came out several years ago. What is the point of taking injections to ease your paranoia when the government and the mental health services then insist on doing things to make you frightened and paranoid?!
It makes no sense.

Has anyone else here seen someone from vocational services? Could do with some reassurance,if only to lessen this feeling of anxiety and paranoia :(

F

firemonkee57

Please remove the post and cancel my account.

Thank you.

oneday

oneday

hi firemonkee,

I do hope you read this and haven't left. Why do you want to close your acccount here? I hope you stay.

I can't speak personally about this, but I understand it's part of what's expected of the mental health services these days (in UK) - that they have to include something about people's 'meaningful occupation', training, employment plans etc as part of their care planning.

You say the letter's about discussing your 'training and employment needs'. In my understanding of the English language, your 'needs' are something you need .

If you don't want/need any support or ideas re training or employment, then that's your choice and they can't force you to do anything, surely? If you feel worried about this meeting, I'd get in touch with your local advocacy service and have an advocate with you to help you put your case. If you don't know about a local advocacy service, contact a helpline like Mind's Infoline, Rethink advice line or Saneline, or the local PALS (patients advice and liaison service) for your mental health trust.

Also, remember that 'training and employment needs' won't mean forcing you into employment per se (how could they?) They might offer some training or education course for you to go on, for instance, or some people might start some volunteering. Again, they can't force you, but, again, mightn't there be something on offer that you would like to do? Negotiate that with them.

And remember, too, that you should tell them about what you feel you need -therapy to help with your anxiety etc. They should then understand that this would have to be the first step, before you going on any course etc, and start by helping organising this for you.

Anyway. Best of luck and (I know it's easy for me to say) but don't worry too much, but get support, I'd say.

Oneday