• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Toxin fears

S

SteveG

I have a fear of doing permanent damage by investing mercury or breathing asbestos. These are real toxins, but I see them everywhere on everything.

C

candycane

Sorry to here this.
Maybe see a mental health expert,and get a complete mental health work-up.
Then go from there.

S

SteveG

Have been seeing a therapist for five years.

Kavaris_Valiant_One

Kavaris_Valiant_One

I have an acute builtup-fear of the chemicals in crack-rock after doing it awhile, the thought makes me fearful of toxins, or any volatile material.

D

dansell123

You might not like my answer at all, and I don't want to get all analytical on you....but I used to have the fear of lead poisoning. To be honest, the fear is not what is important, rather what is important is what kind of pathology the fear points to.

For me, the fear of lead was the fear of losing my intelligence. That being said, i had a whole spectrum of fears related to that problem and they didn't go away until i started to confront that issue head on....i.e. to not be afraid of losing/not placing as much value on my intelligence.

The truth is, even if you overcome you phobia of mercury and asbestos, that fear will only transform into some other phobia until you address the underlying issue.

J

JeanPierre

I have a fear of doing permanent damage by investing mercury or breathing asbestos. These are real toxins, but I see them everywhere on everything.
Unless abestos is disturbed it's perfectly safe. Mercury as in ingesting fish?
I believe you have to eat a lot of fish.
I'm not belittling your fears, at all.
I just hope this helps a bit.