• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Tourettic OCD anyond?

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Does anyone else have this facet of OCD?

I used to show more of the typical OCD signs like compulsions to complete rituals (every night before bed I had to touch all my 50+ stuffed animals gently and lovingly, or else I felt in the back of my head that something bad would happen).

This began at about age 7, which was the same age I was when I stopped showing most negative emotions and began to feel embarrassed to have needs (I have cPTSD too, among other things). So the intense anxiety I've suffered since age 4 was attempted to be pushed down, I only showed positive feelings and hid any issues or problems, so I think all that came out as OCD as a way to try and gain some control over that anxiety.

By my mid teens, I realised the rituals were just me trying to reassure myself and they really had no actual use. So I moved my own OCD goal post and only touched the 5 most cherished and sentimental stuffed toys, and that was enough.

But shortly after that, I began experiencing physical urges to tense my arm muscle, my neck, nod my head really quickly, contract my stomach muscles in and out quickly, blink my left eye very hard, and do this thumbs up gesture over and over again. Tics. Only when I'm alone or nobody's looking. I don't have any rituals anymore.

I've researched this and apparently it's not Tourette's as for that, I would need to have both physical and verbal tics, and I don't have any verbal ones.

Anyone else?

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Aw, thank you!

M

morty2

I saw Physc when about 7 for tics,but i do still get them. have not told doc this although i should. I do say rude things sometimes aloud but more through temper than tourettes really. But i can see why it would come with OCD. I do grimace and always move facially,neck where i get stiff neck with migraine. And i teeth snap when im really uptight,ive chipped teeth i think this way.

harrow

harrow

I experience a similar thing. I'm not an expert, but what I've come to understand is that they appear to be and function like tics but it's not connected to a tic disorder. Tics in tic disorders such as Tourette's are involuntary and not related to any kind of urge to do the action. If you feel the urge, if it's a compulsion done to avoid negative emotions, that would not be a tic disorder. People with OCD get tics as well, though, it's called Tourettic OCD and one indicator is repeating actions a specific numbers of times according to prescribed rules or until a “just right” feeling is achieved. It is possible you are developing a tic disorder (there are multiple kinds and it doesn't need to be Tourette's to be diagnosed), but I think it depends on the purpose or lack thereof of the tics. If you would like to do research on your own, "tics and ocd," "tourettic ocd," and "ocd movement rituals" are good search terms. Hope this helps and I wish you luck.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J OCD about self doubt Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Ocd or Asperger/autism? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
J Harm OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
R is this h-ocd or denial?? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P OCD intrusive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Any advise how to calm my ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J I fear consumption of my ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
R scared about my OCD intrusive thoughts consisting of my boyfriend Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
G Is my OCD impossible? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Life After OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N OCD is destroyingmy life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Strange ocd theme! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 23
P OCD and anxiety over blood borne viruses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C Do you think I'm Ocd? HELP! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C I'm going crazy.. Help Me! (Ocd) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
G New treatment for OCD - brain pulses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
S Ocd back Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E OCD (fear of being poisoned) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Methods to beat OCD effectively Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Scared about my OCD symptoms. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
D Heart palpitations and ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T Am I having OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
R just realised how serious my OCD is, after going too far ... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
K I think I have OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Please help. Ocd COVID disaster :( Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Advices for helping person with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M OCD focusing on a real event Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance… Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 31
L False Memory OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A Existential OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
E Ocd Panic please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
M OCD and Involuntary movement Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
C I need help on this one ( OCD ) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B Have You Identified Your OCD Triggers? and How Did You Identify Your OCD Triggers? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Which meds help your OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
Amelia2020 My ocd is getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N Disturbing OCD thoughts keep forcing invasive thoughts into my head and I cant control it Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Ocd advice. Ocd and negative associations Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
O Its about time i addressed ocd in my 30s Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
Tawny How to Help Yourself with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Body focused OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J OCD attraction and sex Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
T Did I cheat or is it my ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 36
E Contamination ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
tartan extreme OCD and checking/self-doubt, your experiences? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
A I have severe OCD which has only been getting worse. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2