• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tougher mental health rules begin - changes in the Mental Health Act

T

Twylight

Fears over new drug orders

It's one thing having new laws and another thing policing it

I do have a friend who's on a permanent section, if he refuses his injection they take him into hospital.

I really don't think the NHS and the Police have the resources to seriously enforce new laws.

I can only see it will cause more suicides

A

Apotheosis

It's the system which is wrong - it needs abolishing & something proper put in it's place.

spiritual_emergency

spiritual_emergency

Professor Appleby said: "Mental illness is different because it impairs your very ability to make a rational decision about your treatment.

Source: BBC News: Tougher Mental Health Rules

There's the rub. That's probably why people aren't provided informed consent either. The presumption is that you wouldn't know how to choose even if you were given the opportunity to do so.

"Many people, including some mental health professionals, have profound concerns about compelling people to take medication that can often have very unpleasant side effects and may be of limited effectiveness."

Source: Guardian: Fears Over New Drug Orders

The quote was offered up by a slightly more rational professional. Still, I always get a kick out of the way those "side effects" are presented as merely, "unpleasant".

Most Frequent Suspect Drugs in Deaths 1998 - 2005

Oxycondone (Opiate): 5,548
Fentanyl (Opiate): 3,545
Clozapine (Anti-psychotic): 3,277
Morphine (Opiate): 1,616
Acetaminophen (Analgesiac): 1,393
Methadone (Opiate): 1,258
Infliximab (Anti-rheumatism): 1,228
Interferon beta (Immunomederator): 1,178
Risperidone (Anti-psychotic): 1,093
Etanercept (Anti-rheumatism): 1,034
Paclitaxel (Atineoplastic): 1,033
Olanzapine (Anti-psychotic): 1,005
Rofecoxib (Anti-inflammatory): 932
Paroxetine (Anti-depressant): 850

Source: Adverse Events - U.S. Food and Drug Administration

I'm collecting such information. If anyone knows of any other countries who keep similar stats, please do share the url. Do be reassured however, I wasn't considering doing anything so foolish as choosing -- I just like to... collect things.

~ Namaste

.​

Last edited:
nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Thanks for all the links and info folks. In the absence of properly resourced advocacy services and a sequence of rigorous checks and balances it is hard to see this as anything other as (yet another) attack on liberty. It amounts to enforced medication. Now I am not saying that in a small number of cases it is not possible that this may be necessary, but the power to enforce such a thing should only be granted after the person on whom it is being enforced has full rights of representation, there are hearings, procedures, and as I say very rigorous checks and balances.

Nick.

A

Apotheosis

Thanks for all the links and info folks. In the absence of properly resourced advocacy services and a sequence of rigorous checks and balances it is hard to see this as anything other as (yet another) attack on liberty. It amounts to enforced medication. Now I am not saying that in a small number of cases it is not possible that this may be necessary, but the power to enforce such a thing should only be granted after the person on whom it is being enforced has full rights of representation, there are hearings, procedures, and as I say very rigorous checks and balances.

Nick.
I completely agree with you Nick. It's a sad situation.

spiritual_emergency

spiritual_emergency

The government claim that around 1,450 will be placed on CTOs yet according to research by the King’s Fund it is estimated that there will be a gradual year on increase of numbers. They believe it is more likely that between 7,000-13,000 service users could be placed on CTOs over the next 10-15 years.

At the moment young Black men are 38% more likely than the average to be sectioned under the current Mental Health Act and with the lack of safeguards this disproportionate number of Black people being forced onto CTOs will remain.

The psychiatric system reflects the sexism, racism and homophobia that exists in this society and without any kind of anti-discrimination this will continue...

CTOs are a way, New Labour claims, of reducing psychiatric admissions yet studies have shown in Australia, that CTO placement, aboriginal ethnicity, younger age, personality disorder and previous health service use were all associated with increased admission rates. The authors conclusion stated that we should question the rationale for CTOs and advocate more effective treatments. (British Journal of Psychiatry, 2004).

The Institute Of Psychiatry’s International experiences of using CTOs (March 2007) noted as well that ethnicity data from Israel, USA, New Zealand and Australia, indicate that relative to the proportion of the general population comprised by their ethnic group, most ethnic groups might be over-represented amongst CTO recipients.

The Mental Health Act can be reduced to the 3 C’s of New Labour (compulsion, coercion, containment). It is a retrograde act and will terrify mental health service users. It will destroy trust between service user and professional. Instead of support service users will feel policed. If a person can live in the community then they should be trusted in whether they take their medication. It is about choice. And surely the service user is the best person to know whether medication works or doesn’t work? And if the service user is experiencing dire side-effects are they expected to keep taking it?

Mental health service users already, for good reason, feel stigmatised and victimised and this Act will only increase that fear. One of the biggest criticisms from mental health service users (and from my own personal experience I echo it) is not being listened to and your needs, demands, concerns regularly ignored by professionals this will indeed create more powerlessness and lack of control over your surroundings. This will add to the distress and will in no way increase better mental health.

The Act with its changes, along with agenda of New Labour, attacks civil liberties and will instil fear, stigma, mistrust and create a tightly controlled passive society…..

Thanks for sharing the link, firemonkey.

.​

Last edited:
nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes excellent article - thanks firemonkey.

Nick.