• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Touch OCD (tics?)

U

unknowncat

I think I may have a form of TOCD, or touch OCD. I've always had a need to have everything that touches one side of my body to touch the other in the exact same way with the exact same pressure, but I thought it was just a quirk. However, when I think about it it gets worse, which makes me think I'm making it all up. It interferes a lot with homework and general tasks, but sometimes goes away. I've found recently that if I touch something in a specific way and feel the usual urgent need to touch it the same way on the other side, the only way to not do this is to have a small, I guess, tic attack. I spaz around for a few seconds and get a migraine, but hey, at least I didn't have to tap the kettle 14 times!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I sometimes feel like i need to do something on one side then the other. Like, if i scratch one side of my nose, i have to scratch the other side. It has never become distressing to me though and i think that is where this problem becomes a disorder. If i seriously affects your daily life and causes you distress, then it might be OCD and you might need help with reducing it.

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

I agree with Tawny: if you feel distressed, it could indeed be OCD or a related disorder. OCD is a pretty diverse disorder, too. Some people have mental compulsions only, others have to count until a certain number. A therapist or psychiatrist can help you, especially one experienced in OCD.

Wish you all the best :)