Touch, haphephobia

M

MidnightEye7

Hello, is there anyone who knows how to deal with haphephobia? I tried to get used to touch but it did not work. I tried forcing my way through the phobia without results. I was in a very long therapy also without any results. Mostlikely the cause of it was the fact that I stopped breaving a week after my birth. So I was taken my doctors and underwent medical treatment. Now when someone touches me I feel unbearable pain. I know that anti-depresants can help but I have anxiety and depression sickness which already requires me to take the medicine. I've been on pills for 5 years. I feel very lonely despite having many friends. Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. I am afraid I don't know what to do about this if you have had extensive therapy. There is a treatment for phobias which involves desensitising you to the fear. You start with just a picture and then the briefest of touches and greadually build up. What kind of therapy was it?

As for pills, have you been on the same ones for years and if so maybe you need to try some new ones. I think its a rare and difficult fear to overcome. Like most people with phobia you know where it came from but don't know how to overcome it. Is it true for family members as well touching you? Can you manage with touch through clothes?

I hope others will be along soon to help you more. Take care.

M

MidnightEye7

Thank you for answering

I am in a therapy that is about desensitising but there are legal problems in my country with bringing a second person who is not the therapist into the therapy and there is no way around it. Also my therapist stated that because the phobia is from infancy it is very unlikely it will work. I changed my pills once. A year ago. My psychiatrists will not risk because I had serious cases of selfharm in past. My parents and brother (who is a twin) also cant touch me. Touching through clothes does not hurt but tickles. Its only the skin that hurts. I am so thankful for your answer.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am so sorry its so bad for you. I'm not clear about the therapist's attitude as I would have thought telling you it won't work is one way to make sure it doesn't work! YOur mind will tell you that its pointless.

I am sorry about the self harm, I did that for quite a while and know how hard it is to stop that. Are you in pain when you touch your own skin? I presume that is OK. I think that the desensitising method is the best one to go forward with. What does your psychiatrist suggest?

M

MidnightEye7

It does not hurt to touch my own skin. None of the psychiatrists I went to had any idea what to do? I also went to a sexologist and he was the one that wants to do the theraphy with touch but law forbides him to. The nly comment I got from the psychiatrist was that I have to do something about it or my depression will get worst much faster.