• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

tory candidate on about self reliance

Nutsy

Nutsy

Yeah ok we can drop it

I remember signing on every fortnight too. My experience with DWP had a twenty year gap when I was working, but when I came back it was easier in some ways. Mainly due to technology though, applying online was way easier than those bastard forms lol. The thing I noticed .most was that it was almost impossible to get advice in what to claim from the job centre, so much so that I ended up getting some benefits backdated almost 2 years when I finally got everything sorted.

DWP is such a leviathan that any and all change happens slowly, waay more slowly than the ruling party (whoever it is) changes the rules.

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah sure Blair brought in the Atos medicals buy the cons brought in the welfare reform act of 2012, that changes things

C

Chemstyle

I’m only 18 so I’m obviously more of a lefty. I’m probably going to vote for either labour or green because I don’t really like the torys. Although I’m definitely left wing, a lot of people I know who are lefties annoy me so much, they are always saying how you should only be left wing and won’t accept your opinion if you believe otherwise which is why I think I will vote green as my first choice and labour as my second because even though green won’t win I still like them as a party.

Karmaman

Karmaman

The last time I was unemployed I had to report each week to this job place. I was so ill and despite a history of depression and anxiety (plus a stint in hospital) a seemingly understanding nurse failed me after I attended a meeting to prove how ill I was. Working now (worked most of my life but after the last experience with the DWP I couldn't face those weekly visits. So I'm literally dragging myself into work each day. I think it was G4S running the DWP at the time.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Enoch Powell was Conservative
enoch and his supporters he could tell who to vote for could sway elections, i think he was health minister under a labour goverment

my gay neighbour liked enoch, he said he was a classics lecturer and his rivers of blood speech was taken out of context he was talking about a roman writer talking about the goths crossing the rubicon said to be the end of the roman empire

my gay neighbour to quote his pc credentials he was on the jarrow hunger march, times had changed

gettting old you feel a bit out of touch, the right views changing, the views people considered right in the 60s aren't shared in 2021 and both views can't be right they conflict, the old hippys are now accused of misogyny masquerading as free love

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

ACCOUNT CLOSED
enoch and his supporters he could tell who to vote for could sway elections, i think he was health minister under a labour goverment

my gay neighbour liked enoch, he said he was a classics lecturer and his rivers of blood speech was taken out of context he was talking about a roman writer talking about the goths crossing the rubicon said to be the end of the roman empire

my gay neighbour to quote his pc credentials he was on the jarrow hunger march, times had changed

gettting old you feel a bit out of touch, the right views changing, the views people considered right in the 60s aren't shared in 2021 and both views can't be right they conflict, the old hippys are now accused of misogyny masquerading as free love
Hi , just reading about Enoch , very well educated yeah .
Wasn't he born in Wolverhampton, or member of Parliament for there ?

Oh god yeah the Jarrow march ,
My mom used to send food off for the striking miners families.

Yes I heard his comments were taken out of context, who knows , I certainly don't.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as you may know shaun bailey the tory mayor candidate i'm thinking of voting for happens to be well no more said.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TooMuchPain

You know what I like most about this thread? You two were kinda getting on each other nerves today and now you are chatting like its all good. Thanks for that. Thanks for disagreeing and still talking afterwards.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
The whole 'self-reliance!', 'independence!' shit is American cultural imperialism at work. It's not even natural... we're a social species that naturally live in family groups and communities, but between the US's Ayn Rand fetishism and the way in which an atomised society makes people better worker drones and consumers (more rotten imported American 'values'), we're basically being 'encouraged' to live much like domestic cats, mostly separated from our peers and reliant upon 'masters' (in this case, employers) for food and shelter.

If you've got a problem with Labour, fine... but someone on benefits voting Conservative is like cutting your own throat. I don't understand it... there are other parties to vote for. Or just don't vote. I don't always vote Labour - I've voted Lib Dem and Green in the past - but I've never voted for those blue-rosetted, blue-blooded pricks, and I never would.

So the 'annoying' nature of political correctness is more important to you than the Tory-led Stasi-isation of the DWP, and the huge growth in homelessness since 2010? Interesting priorities there, Rambo... I mean, the DWP murder people like us, but Labour are the bad guys?!?!

Got to give the Right credit though... fighting a culture war is working beautifully for them. What the red wall shows is how the English will happily accept being fucked over, so long as the people doing the fucking are white and love waving flags. The peasants' revolt might as well never have happened given how instinctive it is for the English to act like serfs.

As a single male reliant on state support, I find it annoying that I'll never reach the top of the housing list due to single mothers getting put into the queue ahead of me, but what else can be done? Do you put women with infants out on the streets? Force women to stay with abusive partners?

Honestly, if there are women deliberately getting pregnant just so they can have somewhere to live (and I'd like to see the evidence here... I don't think I've ever heard anyone make that claim and been able to back it up with anything better than anecdotes), good luck to them. I love how people seem to think that having a child is an 'easy option'... I wouldn't even want to bring up a child with a partner, let alone on my own.

The whole 'homeless people saving up £5k for a mortgage' thing is typical out of touch Tory nonsense, but better that than 'political correctness' I suppose?

And Universal Income... some people in work spend their money on drink and drugs (often to cope with how shit work is, funnily enough...), so should we abolish wages? Some trust fund babies slurp and snort their way through the cash they did nothing to personally earn, but we all know the Tories won't crack down on inheritance!

Free money for me, but not for thee... it's the Tory way.

Kier asked a very specific question that Johnson refused to answer... the PM saying that he paid for the renovation avoided - very deliberately I suspect, because Johnson isn't as thick as the persona he puts on - answering the request to admit who initially settled the cost.

In terms of how much coverage the news has dedicated to the subject... think what you like of Starmer, but he doesn't decide that; it's on the media.

And Starmer being nasty? Do you honestly think his behaviour was worse than Johnson ranting away for several minutes like a cross between an angry drunk and a spoilt toddler who just got told 'no' for the first time?
I don't get too involved in details, i just judge character based on everything i have seen and heard over time. I like Boris, I don't like Keir Starmer. I don't like his personality and i don't like the way he operates. It wouldn't matter if he was the man who worked in the corner shop, i still wouldn't like him. Bad vibes. He isn't very nice in my opinion.

Just like i don't like Nicola Sturgeon's personality. She doesn't seem very nice, after have watched her over time. I like her more than Starmer though.

I had bad feelings about Corbyn. I wouldn't want to have coffee with him. I'd have coffee with Diane Abbot but she would probably irritate me now and then.

I have a feeling the whole decorating the flat issue has much to do with Carrie Symonds. Dominic Cummings did he call her a princess? Some nasty phrase. I never liked him either, just a bad feeling, he seems to me to be a bit of a bitch. It is just character judging. I think he was probably right to say that about Carrie though ;) i can imagine they had some massive rows and were close to pulling each other's hair. If Cummings had hair anyway :)

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You know what I like most about this thread? You two were kinda getting on each other nerves today and now you are chatting like its all good. Thanks for that. Thanks for disagreeing and still talking afterwards.
That's how it should be :) we all have different opinions don't we.

We all have to be tolerant of different views.

It isn't all black and white is it.

:)

Nutsy

Nutsy

@Tawny and that's part of the problem. People need to stop voting for people and start voting for policies and past performance. Boris is charming and funny, really likeable in interviews etc but his policies and performance are intended to only benefit him and his rich buddies. He does not care about you.

Nutsy

Nutsy

We're both grownups, we can disagree strongly on certain matters but still get along fine.

Nutsy

Nutsy

i was feeling nervous mentioning my gay neighbour i was wondering if it'd be removed on the grounds of not relevant like when i mention my neighbour is the b word
Nothing wrong with saying gay, although I felt it was a little irrelevant. It's ok though, I'm an out bisexual man so I'll give you a LGBTQ pass on it 🤣

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Tawny and that's part of the problem. People need to stop voting for people and start voting for policies and past performance. Boris is charming and funny, really likeable in interviews etc but his policies and performance are intended to only benefit him and his rich buddies. He does not care about you.
I don't believe that. I think character is linked to policy. I think it is important to judge character more than specifics. Policy, it is all very similar, each party they have to say the same stuff over and over. I trust him, i don't think he is perfect but i do think he is doing a good job.

Plenty of past prime ministers have done much worse than doing a few naughty things. Blair, he made some very stupid decisions. I never liked him either.