• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Topics/readings/ideas for support group evenings

P

Pukeko

Our support group in now in its third year. Some night everyone talks non stop, and the trouble is getting everyone a chance to speak. On other times, as it is an open group, there can be all new people and no-one wants to speak at all.
AT these times it helps to have something to talk about, an excerpt from a book/ a poem/ an exercise to do, something/ anything!!!

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where if we find something good/ helpful in a group setting we can share it., so that other people running groups can use it too.

So Please post away- I look forward to some inspiring ideas please :)

R

rabina

Hi Pukeko,
I would suggest asking all to limit their time so that everyone does have a chance to talk if they wish to.
On the nights when not much is being said I would suggest "coping/dealing" methods for there must be thousands of them and don't forget the many non-verbal methods.
At every meeting ask for methods used and keep an ongoing list of them and they'll be there for everyone's use.
I thinks breathing and stretching excercises for relaxation are also good to use.
I don't know how large this group is, but you can split it up and have someone get the ball rolling if you know what I mean. Just leave it as an "Anything you want to talk about" type thing or you can pre-assign a topic to choose from for discussion like religious upbringing-always a thought provoking topic.
Softwhisperer's writings are excellent like her recent one "voice to direction." Ask for their interpretations of poems you choose.
Hey, play games for crying outloud; play scrabble, charades, cards.
If you have enough time and the weather permits, why not go for a short walk to start.
If your group is so inclined, you can have them draw/sketch.
Have dream/nightmare interpretation if anyone wants to share.
Have a survey asking what they believe the source(s) of the voice(s) are from.
Basic questions; when did it start, how has it affected your life, the lives of those around you, etc.
Helen Keller said; "the best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart." I would add to that they also cannot be heard.
Enough!!!
No, have a buddy type set-up where each person has atleast one person they can call whenever necessary.

P

Pukeko

Hey Rabina, thanks for all the great input.
We are trying some different things.
One week we did a yoga stretching exercise at the beginning.
Another time a relaxation exercise.
Last week we did writing down our dreams and goals.

Poems are good too.
Sometimes, you need a bit of inspiration to keep you going.

R

rabina

Hi Pukeko,

You're welcome and yes inspiration does keep a person going.
Good Luck and much success with your group.

rabina

F

foska

Hi Pukeko!
I read some posts of you and I love some things that you said, for example, like be optimist in the way to accept the voices, and love ourselfs.
I'm interested in form part of a group because I would like to share my experience, my strategies and my own knowledge about voices.
I don't know if this group is virtual.
Really nice to meet you!
Have a nice day or nite!
C ye! ;P
foska*

P

Pukeko

Thanks Foska.
The group I am talking about is a physical group, here in Auckland New Zealand.

I suppose that the forum here is meant to be the virtual equivalent.

Thanks for the nice comments

Regards:)