• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Too much thinking ,,,

B

bebe

I have suffered with my MI for several years and thought out these years have managed to help myself a little bit and also work out what makes me worse some days like if i find myself with little to do throughout the day this leads to me sat thinking part past events which leads to a serve paranoid state of mind so i started having hobbies because if your mind is occupied with something it stops the bad thoughts and believe me this helped i now have a daily hobby which if i did not have i doubt i would be on here typing this.
Love to you all.
Does thinking too much make you feel worse???

E

eternaljourney

I still think loads even when I'm occupied. My head has different things going on all at once, it's sometimes eases with exercise but I just thinj thats because I'm releasing energy and it can just boost more adrenalin:unsure:

B

Baz

Oooh yes I get into trouble like that, when I have too much time to think I came to the wrong conclusions about things, which isn't good.

Also I found when I was having my anxious/panicy episodes, they were more prominent when I wasn't keeping my mind occupied.

E

eternaljourney

I don't know what faith discourages reading so I'll be careful not to disrespect yours or your wife's religion. I think reading is one of the most precious things in life. I get so distracted and confused that there can be long spaces of time that I just can't read, I really feel I'm missing so much. When I can't read or exercise:cry:

T

TheFinalShowdown

I read this after posting my own on the same thing, and I can see the dates now.

C

Contramike

SO true. An idle mind will turn against you in a heartbeat.
I get in a situation where I can talk myself out of doing anything; even things I used to enjoy. It feels like a HUGE episode of boredom and every time I think about doing something, my mind seems to sabotage the idea with excuses and reasons why I shouldn't be doing it. When forcing myself to do something, I get so incredibly anxious, I can't continue.
I might be slightly off-topic, but does this sound familiar?

maxitab

maxitab

Oh yes, I was just rabbiting on about this in my journal yesterday. Procrastination is my middle name. Lethargy comes next......
If I can just get beyond this:
my mind seems to sabotage the idea with excuses and reasons why I shouldn't be doing it.
I can cope with the anxiety....after a fashion. It is getting up off my butt in the first place......

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I had a counciller once who said "theres an idea going round the nhs that thinking is bad for the health"

That same counciller encouraged me to come to london, something i doubt was a good idea

I try distracting myself with reading but sometimes when i'm anxious it's impossible

O

owlish

HI, first post here, and I couldn't help but to respond after seeing the title. I think a lot too, I have Schizo-affective/Bipolar associated with me. I know for a fact that I can beat myself up with no help, and this happens when I have any kind of lack of "thinking". What I have found is that thoughts are the rudder and your mood is the keel of the minds "boat". At least that is how I refer to it. You cannot change how you feel/mood but you can change what you think.

T

TheFinalShowdown

Yes it does sound familiar - as also does commotions as waves rock the boat - But it is always better to be doing something. The trick is to find several things that you can do, and when you have them to choose which one you are going to do today. There have been times when I had nothing to do! Though this was not entirely true as my mind was apparantly incapable at that time of applying logic, and I suppose my condition whatever that was prevented me from looking. I thought about courses and that. As it turned out I can do one or all of four things without going out. Then when I do go out I head up to an internet shop, one that sells coffee. So in any day, no matter when I get up, I have five options of what I want to do. It is said that (if you don't mind a quote) if we don't work we don't eat. So I make sure that I do something even if I don't feel like it. I work, I play, I sleep. sometimes, when I was first doing this, say the coloring that you know I do, I had to allow about an hour for me to get into it. This is where you struggle to keep it going for that hour until your mind settles in and turns it into something that you enjoy doing. So each day I would tell myself that it's going to take an hour. Then it became twenty minutes. And now I am straight into it.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SunnyDaze Wellbeing 17
N Wellbeing 2
N Wellbeing 7