• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Too much lamotrigine?

P_Rose

P_Rose

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone who takes lamotrigine (Lamictal) has had any adverse effects from taking too high of a dose? When I originally started taking it, I was at 100mg and it made my depression better than when it was at rock bottom and evened out my mood swings, but I was still experiencing several days a month of difficult depression. Over the past year or so I've gone up to 200mg and added 2.5mg of Abilify, but I still get depression, especially with difficulty being interested in any activities or feeling the worth of life. I honestly didn't notice any depression improvement from increasing the lamotrigine from 100mg.

I'm still functional (getting minimum of work done, staying minimally connected to people, eating reasonably well) but just trying to figure out if there is a way I can enjoy my life, at least some of the time. (I know I may never experience months that are completely free of depression, but I think it can possibly get better than things are now.)

I'm in the process of reducing my lamotrigine to potentially transition to Zoloft (under a psychiatrist), and surprisingly, as soon as I lowered the dose of lamotrigine I started feeling much better, less zombie-ish. I'm wondering if it might be a sign that I was taking too much and maybe I don't need to switch meds after all. But maybe it's just temporary. I'm afraid of the side effects from Zoloft, so if I don't need to switch over, I might consider staying on lamotrigine. It's also possible I need to ditch the Abilify, even though I'm on a super low dose, and I added it after already having depression with lamotrigine.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

P

Purpleplum

It's all got to do with what works with your body's chemistry. Maybe less of it is the right amount for you. Everyone is different. There no set answer to what's right. The doctor's just use trial and error.

HLon99

HLon99

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone who takes lamotrigine (Lamictal) has had any adverse effects from taking too high of a dose? When I originally started taking it, I was at 100mg and it made my depression better than when it was at rock bottom and evened out my mood swings, but I was still experiencing several days a month of difficult depression. Over the past year or so I've gone up to 200mg and added 2.5mg of Abilify, but I still get depression, especially with difficulty being interested in any activities or feeling the worth of life. I honestly didn't notice any depression improvement from increasing the lamotrigine from 100mg.

I'm still functional (getting minimum of work done, staying minimally connected to people, eating reasonably well) but just trying to figure out if there is a way I can enjoy my life, at least some of the time. (I know I may never experience months that are completely free of depression, but I think it can possibly get better than things are now.)

I'm in the process of reducing my lamotrigine to potentially transition to Zoloft (under a psychiatrist), and surprisingly, as soon as I lowered the dose of lamotrigine I started feeling much better, less zombie-ish. I'm wondering if it might be a sign that I was taking too much and maybe I don't need to switch meds after all. But maybe it's just temporary. I'm afraid of the side effects from Zoloft, so if I don't need to switch over, I might consider staying on lamotrigine. It's also possible I need to ditch the Abilify, even though I'm on a super low dose, and I added it after already having depression with lamotrigine.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Dear P_Rose,

I can only go from my experience, as meds affect everyone differently. I was initially put on 100mgs of lamotrigine and it certainly helped massively, but i was still experiencing days of hypomania and depression, so my pdoc upped it to 200mg and also added 5mg of Abilify. I am now much more stable, but I do sometimes feel sluggish and withdrawn but I think its becuase of the abilify.

If your considering switching to Sertraline (Zoloft), you will most likely have to continue taking an antipsychotic, possibly at a higher dose in order to prevent the antidepressant from switching you into mania or causing rapid cycling. This may cause you to feel even more sluggish.

I would suggest that you speak to your psychiatrist about possibly maintaining you at the 100mg dose and maybe withdraw from the abilify (as long as you don't feel (hypo)manic or have psychotic features). And then if that doesn't work go ahead and switch to zoloft.

I'm currently considering doing as similar thing as you and switching to prozac, so keep us posted and let us know how it goes :)

Best of luck to you

-H

P_Rose

P_Rose

Dear P_Rose,

I can only go from my experience, as meds affect everyone differently. I was initially put on 100mgs of lamotrigine and it certainly helped massively, but i was still experiencing days of hypomania and depression, so my pdoc upped it to 200mg and also added 5mg of Abilify. I am now much more stable, but I do sometimes feel sluggish and withdrawn but I think its becuase of the abilify.

If your considering switching to Sertraline (Zoloft), you will most likely have to continue taking an antipsychotic, possibly at a higher dose in order to prevent the antidepressant from switching you into mania or causing rapid cycling. This may cause you to feel even more sluggish.

I would suggest that you speak to your psychiatrist about possibly maintaining you at the 100mg dose and maybe withdraw from the abilify (as long as you don't feel (hypo)manic or have psychotic features). And then if that doesn't work go ahead and switch to zoloft.

I'm currently considering doing as similar thing as you and switching to prozac, so keep us posted and let us know how it goes :)

Best of luck to you

-H
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we're in a similar spot. I'll definitely be self-monitoring as I continue with the lowered lamotrigine to see if I continue to feel better and decide with my psychiatrist about whether it still makes sense to switch over.

HLon99

HLon99

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we're in a similar spot. I'll definitely be self-monitoring as I continue with the lowered lamotrigine to see if I continue to feel better and decide with my psychiatrist about whether it still makes sense to switch over.
You're very welcome.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried any other meds, and if so what were they like. And how's it going with the zoloft?

P_Rose

P_Rose

You're very welcome.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried any other meds, and if so what were they like. And how's it going with the zoloft?
Only meds I've tried so far. Been on the lamotrigine for about a year and a half and Abilify for a year. My psychiatrist is taking me off the lamotrigine before adding the Zoloft, so that's how I'm getting to see that perhaps I was on too much in the first place. If I do still start the Zoloft, I think I want to do a really small dose, like 12.5mg by cutting my pill in half, and seeing where it goes from there. I'm also scared of how hard I've heard it is to get off SSRIs once you're on them.

HLon99

HLon99

Only meds I've tried so far. Been on the lamotrigine for about a year and a half and Abilify for a year. My psychiatrist is taking me off the lamotrigine before adding the Zoloft, so that's how I'm getting to see that perhaps I was on too much in the first place. If I do still start the Zoloft, I think I want to do a really small dose, like 12.5mg by cutting my pill in half, and seeing where it goes from there. I'm also scared of how hard I've heard it is to get off SSRIs once you're on them.
Yeah I've heard that as well. Although its usually for people who have been on them for years and at high doses. At the dose you're planning to take I don't think it will be much of a problem. I had a mate who came off of Zoloft after about a year, and he said that past the first few weeks of withdrawal it isn't too bad.

I know its a can be very frustrating to keep mixing various cocktails of drugs just to see which work for you, but really its the only way to find out. Psychiatry is not an exact science, half the time they don't even know how these drugs really work.

One thing I can say is I find that I feel better if I take mood stabilisers in the morning and antipsychotics at night. No idea why. A friend of my mothers, whose struggled with bipolar told me that trick. Maybe you can try that.

Either way I hope you feel better soon

Best wishes,
-H

P_Rose

P_Rose

Yeah I've heard that as well. Although its usually for people who have been on them for years and at high doses. At the dose you're planning to take I don't think it will be much of a problem. I had a mate who came off of Zoloft after about a year, and he said that past the first few weeks of withdrawal it isn't too bad.

I know its a can be very frustrating to keep mixing various cocktails of drugs just to see which work for you, but really its the only way to find out. Psychiatry is not an exact science, half the time they don't even know how these drugs really work.

One thing I can say is I find that I feel better if I take mood stabilisers in the morning and antipsychotics at night. No idea why. A friend of my mothers, whose struggled with bipolar told me that trick. Maybe you can try that.

Either way I hope you feel better soon

Best wishes,
-H
Thank you for the encouragement! I have a lot of discomfort still with even taking meds in the first place, which adds to my hesitancy and fear to change things up. But you're right that experimentation is the only way to find out what could help, and my gut says that I could still feel better than I do now. I do find that taking the abilify at night has helped a lot with drowsiness and dizziness that I used to get from it. I'll let you know how it goes.

HLon99

HLon99

Thank you for the encouragement! I have a lot of discomfort still with even taking meds in the first place, which adds to my hesitancy and fear to change things up. But you're right that experimentation is the only way to find out what could help, and my gut says that I could still feel better than I do now. I do find that taking the abilify at night has helped a lot with drowsiness and dizziness that I used to get from it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Glad to help :)