• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'

S

supergreysmoke

BBC News - Too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'

Too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'

Too much jogging may be as bad for you as not putting on your running shoes at all, a report in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology says.

Scientists studied more than 1,000 healthy joggers and non-joggers over a 12-year period.

Those who jogged at a steady pace for less than two and a half hours a week were least likely to die in this time.

But those who ran more than four hours a week or did no exercise had the highest death rates.

(continued, the inventor of jogging died of heart failure doing it - this snippet of info maybe saved my life? I don't jog, I walk though.)

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I remember reading that the chief exponent of jogging, died of heart failure.

Jogging is not an ideal form of exercise for humans anyway. The main way of getting around for our ancient ancestors was walking. They would have had to do short bursts of sprinting too, to escape danger, such as wild animals.

This was done on soft, springy turf, and not the concrete and tarmac roads of today. Many joggers experience problems with their joints if they overdo it, cos our bodies are not used to the much harder surfaces of the modern environment.

I jogged very briefly when I was younger. But walking (followed by swimming, which I never do now) is my favourite form of exercise :)

S

Shump

I think jogging technique can be changed a lot to suit hard surface better, and make it super efficient... The study sounds silly, it's not teaching anything useful, just spreads another fear of some daily normal activity jogging. Jogging is extremely healthy for many things and for many people I wold say, I think that message should be spread instead. Probably 95% of people won't decide to jog over 4 hours a weeks but a more reasonable amount, and those are the people that need the jogging.

Basically

no jogging = worst feeling and unhealthy

reasonable amount = even 5 min jog per day, instant daily energy boost

the over 4 hours a week they studied = maybe bit unhealthy but likely to be much better than no jogging

they should say, GO JOG, stupid scientits, sorry :p

obviously in longer run, choosing other surface than tarmac or so is preferable

Last edited:
LORD BURT

LORD BURT

If I jog/ run for more than 10 minutes I look as if I am going to pass out.

I enjoy swimming on hot days and cycling is lovely when it is safe.

shaky

shaky

The problem with jogging is shoes
Because we wear shoes we walk badly, putting our heels down first.
And when running we do it too.

This is not the way our bodies are meant to work.
Run by putting the ball of your foot down first - this allows the leg and big tendons to flex and help you to bounce along (like a kangaroo) and means there isn't a sudden THUD that is so bad for the jointd

So, to avoid bad joints - run barefoot :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SunnyDaze Wellbeing 17
N Wellbeing 2
N Wellbeing 7