• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Too much choice?

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I know choices are a good thing and important in recovery but I have just been overwhelmed by discussion with the docs about treatment for depression where I feel anti depressants re not working completely.
Has any one who is not diagnosed as having bipolar or psychotic symtoms been offered meds usually prescribed for these conditions. My concern is that these are powerful drugs and the side effects but I'mm trying to keep an open mind.

M

Michael

Founding Member
I'm interested to know how you keep an open mind on selection of drugs as I can never be objective about them. I read things on the 'net' and I seem to feel I follow many of the paths but when I listen to me doctor he seems to be able to cut throught the crap and target the specifics on me and then come out with a diagnoses which I couldn't see on my own but then it makes perfect sense.
I suppose I am one of those who it is better to just let the doctor get on with whats he's paid for and me to continue just being neurotic!

Michael

ps I hope you don't think I am being sarky with this post, I really am interested in how others can be objective about treatment for them

A

Apotheosis

You would be hard pressed to find someone on here as cynical & disparaging about the orthodox & meds, as me. Depression seems to be a condition which the orthodox appears to be slightly more keen to try means of treatment other than meds with. In my own experience with "Psychotic" type illness; for want of a better word - there has been no choice; I don't see drugs (meds) or nothing as a choice, especially given the nature of these substances & what they do/don't do. Sorry if that isn't constructive, but it's the way I see it/have experienced it. I would give almost anything to be off the drug I have been forced to take.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Choicde when they go on about choice when in fact they're taking away choice, it reminds me of thatcher going on about freedom whilst taking it away

They come up with this line of not making me dependent and use that as an excuse to do nothing, if i'm left, i see myself as deteriating and becoming more dependent, i've heard friends say the mental health system doesn't help but it's weird hearing mental health workers come out with a version

Don't know what i want but would like more benefits moneys droping and when i mentioned it the support worker started off about going through my income and expenditure, going through income and expenditure didn't do Mr Macawber much good, when i said "I'm 50 even if i got better, i doubt i could get or hold down a job" she said "you think your the only one in that situation"

M

maudikie

KP1

It is when you com e ff the medication that you get more ill. There are side effects of course, and if these are troubling you see your G.P. or C.P.N. and ask about them. A ong illness takes a lot of coming to term with, but talk about it, and try to keep youself occupied with something that interess you.:)

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
The medication issue is on hold until I have moved as not the best time to try and change. One of my main problems at the moment is extreme tiredness I wake several times at night but could sleep for England during the day. Its really hard to get motivated to do anthting at a time when I have got loads to do and can't put it off. Today I've slept for 3 hours in the middle of packing my husband despairs of me! It isn't lazyness I don't think just an overwhelming urge, lack of energy and motivation.
I don't think when I change meds that anything with side effects of sleepiness will work cos I might as well go and hibernate then.
:rolleyes:

M

maudikie

KP1.

Sleepiness may be part of your illness. I hope you have mentioned it to your doctor. Don't feel guilty about it. If your husband is needing help with accepting your illness I suggest that he asks for a carer's assessment. What age group are you? It may be you need a full physical exaination. Are you eating properly? And remember that sleep is a great healer.:):)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Other 22
Tamziie93 Other 6