Too many questions.....

echo66

echo66

How easy (or difficult) is it to get oneself voluntarily admitted to a psych unit.....and is it an unwise thing to do in any case...?

I am thinking because I present outwardly as coping/functioning, it will be nigh on impossible... Do you have to be deemed a risk to yourself before they will consider admitting you?

I have had my AD dosage doubled because the dose I was on just wasn't controlling my depression effectively...but I am in a suicidal state (I was before the dosage was increased) but don't know how long it will take to 'kick in' and start having a positive effect on my mood.... or is it the side-effect of the AD's which is making the suicidal feelings worse???

Arghh!!!

S

seekingsense

Hi, sorry to hear that you are having difficulties coping at the moment. You do usually have to be a risk to yourself or others...but I would say if you are feeling suicidal that you are a risk to yourself. Please try and seek help. They've changed your meds too, so perhaps they could have you in for obs while you see how this impacts on your mood.

J

JustBelieve

Hi echo66,
Yes you usually have to be in a suicidal
State. I would say go and have an
Assessment and that way they could
See if the Meds are the source.
I've gone in voluntarily before
And they have admitted me going that route.
I really hope you get to feeling better,
As I'm in the same boat, just starting
New medications.
If you feel more comfortable with this
You could also go to your ER and be
Seen there. I've done both.

Last edited:
K

Koloth

Depends what country. Usually if you go private then you will be admitted.

My experience in the UK it has to be a failed suicide attempt. Sometimes they still don't take you seriously and let you go in a few days.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

It is very difficult to be admitted to psychiatric hospital. You need to be a danger to yourself or others but ime I had to actually do something before they believed I was a danger to myself. No matter how many times I told them I was. Sorry to say this. If you have only just had your dose increased it can take a month before any benefits are felt. You can go to a + E. Please keep contacting services if you are unsafe. I know they do say that sometimes when you take new/increased meds it can increase suicidal feelings. Please take care of yourself and keep posting here.

S

seekingsense

It's still worth trying to tell someone. The last time I was on the psych ward when I was being discharged they kept my bed open for a week and said if I had any urges to go back in (they gave me a weeks home leave) and then discharged me officially the following week. They know I don't talk to people and withdraw, they know that it has to be very bad for me to tell someone and to take it seriously...so some places will understand. Try, just in case, the worst they could do is say no. But if you are feeling strong urges it is worth trying to get help.