• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Too insecure always can’t talk to people or reach out

G

GodsArtist1971

I’m so insecure I don’t know how to calm myself and feel comfortable around people. My low self esteem hit me when I got bipolar at 19 years old. I’m now 49 and it just never goes away the insecurity. I’m around other’s and they talk and laugh so easily and I’m always a ball of nerves. My medication calms me being with myself I’m fine. Whenever I’m around other’s I’m self conscious and feel like no one likes me even when their really nice to me. My insecurity is my bipolar and I’ve tried 30 years to overcome it but it never goes away. It always looks like everyone is so confident but me.

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
Hey @GodsArtist1971, that's a good year 1971. I am the same age 49.

Totally relate to what you are saying with being uncomfortable with people. I was taking pretty decent hits of valium and serapax, just to deal with a family birthday up until recently. Absolute torture for me, really upset me. Just keep trying and fighting through, there is no easy fix. I'm not using pills to deal with nerves at the moment, every step I take forward it a real one not a chemical one. We will get there. Stay awesome Ed

G

GodsArtist1971

Hey @GodsArtist1971, that's a good year 1971. I am the same age 49.

Totally relate to what you are saying with being uncomfortable with people. I was taking pretty decent hits of valium and serapax, just to deal with a family birthday up until recently. Absolute torture for me, really upset me. Just keep trying and fighting through, there is no easy fix. I'm not using pills to deal with nerves at the moment, every step I take forward it a real one not a chemical one. We will get there. Stay awesome Ed
Okay thanks! That’s sweet. Are you on anxiety medicine?

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
Yes, tried a lot of pills for anxiety. Was using a bit of propananol to calm me down for a while. Now I am on Escitalopram 60mg, pretty desperate got to give something a go. Hope you are enjoying the forum, you will find heaps of support here.

M

Monki123

Why do you think you need to be around people? :) I am a smart cool introverted hermit who likes my own company and I think people who need to be social are eh. We are all unique. Try to love and appreciate what makes you, You.

G

GodsArtist1971

Yes, tried a lot of pills for anxiety. Was using a bit of propananol to calm me down for a while. Now I am on Escitalopram 60mg, pretty desperate got to give something a go. Hope you are enjoying the forum, you will find heaps of support here.
Yeah it’s relieving to be with my own kind thanks. What’s your diagnosis I’m bipolar generalized anxiety disorder chronic

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

I have the same diagnosis, although I have bipolar II and I also suffer from social anxiety. I to struggle with being around others except in very rare occassions when I'm drunk or Hypo, but even then I'm not always comfortable. I'm 41 now and I've been struggling for as far as I can remember so I know how painful it can be. I do find that talking to other people that have similar problems and understand what I'm going through can help.

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
I am have schizophrenia and ocd. Not really sure a label suits me, I know I am not well. I am starting to think my Ocd is causing the parnonia. I have trouble making eye contact with people, get very uncomfortable. Yeah we are a bit of a weird mob @GodsArtist1971 . It is a relief to be with similar people you are right.

GaryC123

GaryC123

I’m so insecure I don’t know how to calm myself and feel comfortable around people. My low self esteem hit me when I got bipolar at 19 years old. I’m now 49 and it just never goes away the insecurity. I’m around other’s and they talk and laugh so easily and I’m always a ball of nerves. My medication calms me being with myself I’m fine. Whenever I’m around other’s I’m self conscious and feel like no one likes me even when their really nice to me. My insecurity is my bipolar and I’ve tried 30 years to overcome it but it never goes away. It always looks like everyone is so confident but me.
Yeah. I always feel awkward around others. I never know what to say and I always seem to say the wrong things. Sometimes, when I'm in the beginning of having an episode I start to see things I'm doing and feel like others are reading my mind. It's unnerving because my mind is a gutter.

I don't want to die but I feel like the world should celebrate when I'm gone. :low:

G

GodsArtist1971

I have the same diagnosis, although I have bipolar II and I also suffer from social anxiety. I to struggle with being around others except in very rare occassions when I'm drunk or Hypo, but even then I'm not always comfortable. I'm 41 now and I've been struggling for as far as I can remember so I know how painful it can be. I do find that talking to other people that have similar problems and understand what I'm going through can help.
OMG I just quit alcohol 4 days ago and beer always made me so social since high school. I’m 49 and I had this fear that I’ve become an alcoholic because for the last three years I was drinking 5 beers everyday. So I thought what’s going to happen when I get old and don’t have the ability to get alcohol with some kind of nurse but the biggest thing that made me quit was I realized feeling suicidal was because of my constant drinking. I quit and the suicidal feelings went away but now I feel socially introverted not able to go to AA because I’m prophesizing that I won’t connect with anybody and they’ll all ignore me. Ugh

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Godsartist, I have Bipolar 1 and have suffered with an extremely reserved nature and excessive shyness almost all of my adult life. I don’t know if it has anything to do with being bipolar but I have genuine fear, anxiety and lack of capability in engaging with people. I don’t work and live with my parents so oftentimes my parents are the only ones I will communicate with on any given day. This only makes the situation worse because I become unaccustomed to talking with people at all so when I am out in a situation where I have to (neighbors, etc...) it only makes things harder.
I’m not sure what the solution is because it seems like it is just a fundamental part of my personality to not be good at talking to people. It’s a shame but I feel like there is little I can do to remedy it. It does make me feel good to hear other people with s similar problem, though, so thanks for sharing. xo, j

G

GodsArtist1971

Why do you think you need to be around people? :) I am a smart cool introverted hermit who likes my own company and I think people who need to be social are eh. We are all unique. Try to love and appreciate what makes you, You.
You’re right you enjoy your own company you know what me too why not thanks

G

GodsArtist1971

Hi Godsartist, I have Bipolar 1 and have suffered with an extremely reserved nature and excessive shyness almost all of my adult life. I don’t know if it has anything to do with being bipolar but I have genuine fear, anxiety and lack of capability in engaging with people. I don’t work and live with my parents so oftentimes my parents are the only ones I will communicate with on any given day. This only makes the situation worse because I become unaccustomed to talking with people at all so when I am out in a situation where I have to (neighbors, etc...) it only makes things harder.
I’m not sure what the solution is because it seems like it is just a fundamental part of my personality to not be good at talking to people. It’s a shame but I feel like there is little I can do to remedy it. It does make me feel good to hear other people with s similar problem, though, so thanks for sharing. xo, j
Yeah of course I bet there are tons of us