• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Too anxious to seek help?

S

stranger300

Hi. Just looking for some advice I suppose.

I don't struggle with social anxiety often. But I still get it occasionally.
My main problem is work related. I have worked plenty of jobs in the past.
But that feels like such a long time ago. I've been unemployed for a while and even the thought of doing anything work related gives me anxiety and can potentially give me a panic attack. Even something simple like making a phone call, if its work related somehow, can cripple me. I seem to have no motivation to do anything other than what I want to do, the same way that I'm confident around those who I care about but not to those who I don't. New experiences can sometimes be a nightmare and i flight much more than I fight these days unless its do to with someone i really care about and not myself.

I don't feel depressed all the time, but I do feel it a lot. I'm in a relationship and i have a family who cares but I'm too embarrassed/anxious to open up to them about this issue as I feel they wont really understand it anyway. So heres the real question, what sort of help do I seek? If any? Ironically, even the thought of seeking help for this makes me very anxious.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Presuming you're in the UK, your first port of call for this would be a GP.
I don't know if you'd be too anxious to make an appointment, but it could be worth it if it means you get some support.

Do you think the reason you're so anxious about work related stuff is because of the unemployment?
I'd say it's natural to some extent to be anxious about searching for work. It's an emotionally draining process, I think.
But if the anxiety and low mood are preventing you from taking opportunities and/or affecting your quality of life, i'd say it's definitely worth you speaking to your GP.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hi. Just looking for some advice I suppose.

I don't struggle with social anxiety often. But I still get it occasionally.
My main problem is work related. I have worked plenty of jobs in the past.
But that feels like such a long time ago. I've been unemployed for a while and even the thought of doing
anything work related gives me anxiety and can potentially give me a panic attack. Even something simple like making a phone call, if its work related somehow, can cripple me. I seem to have no motivation to do anything other than what I want to do, the same way that I'm confident around those who I care about but not to those who I don't. New experiences can sometimes be a nightmare and i flight much more than I fight these days unless its do to with someone i really care about and not myself.

I don't feel depressed all the time, but I do feel it a lot. I'm in a relationship and i have a family who cares but I'm too embarrassed/anxious to open up to them about this issue as I feel they wont really understand it anyway. So heres the real question, what sort of help do I seek? If any? Ironically, even the thought of seeking help for this makes me very anxious.
Hi mate

Welcome to the forum.

I can really relate to what your saying as I couldn't bring myself to ask for help because I thought people will see me as weak and broken and would walk around me on eggshells. I dont feel like I can speak to my family because my grandad killed himself my brother attempted to kill himself (he's a consultant psychiatrist)
I didn't tell anyone from the age of 14 - I'm 27 now and still none of my family know to th. Point I took the week off work nxt week to try and end my life and all I can think about is if I mess it up what people will think... Madness ain't it.

I'm like u with social anxiety people I like I'm fine with but even the. I don't go out coz what if they mock me, Sam with work I go - but I panick every day about being ridiculed.

If I could advise u anything it would be what ss said go visit a gp and tell her exactly how U feel I found female gps more helpful they seem naturaly more caring to me - I know I can't really talk as I don't follow my own advice but if I had maybe I wouldn't have even given a police caution for common assault and I Wudnt be looking to end my life - ure doing well mate - ure in a relationship - I like to talk to women but i find it hard to be romantic in the sense I like to be liked so Idon't want to say something where the woman's like ewwww perv lol - I know I talked a lot about me but its coz u seem very similar to me and I want you to learn from my mistake of not askin for help - even know I went to gp earlier and walked out before it was my turn - I went honeybadger mode - fuck everyone it's me vs the world :rofl2: nice to meet you - hope you stick around

Sean

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hi mate

Welcome to the forum.

I can really relate to what your saying as I couldn't bring myself to ask for help because I thought people will see me as weak and broken and would walk around me on eggshells. I dont feel like I can speak to my family because my grandad killed himself my brother attempted to kill himself (he's a consultant psychiatrist)
I didn't tell anyone from the age of 14 - I'm 27 now and still none of my family know to th. Point I took the week off work nxt week to try and end my life and all I can think about is if I mess it up what people will think... Madness ain't it.

I'm like u with social anxiety people I like I'm fine with but even the. I don't go out coz what if they mock me, Sam with work I go - but I panick every day about being ridiculed.

If I could advise u anything it would be what ss said go visit a gp and tell her exactly how U feel I found female gps more helpful they seem naturaly more caring to me - I know I can't really talk as I don't follow my own advice but if I had maybe I wouldn't have even given a police caution for common assault and I Wudnt be looking to end my life - ure doing well mate - ure in a relationship - I like to talk to women but i find it hard to be romantic in the sense I like to be liked so Idon't want to say something where the woman's like ewwww perv lol - I know I talked a lot about me but its coz u seem very similar to me and I want you to learn from my mistake of not askin for help - even know I went to gp earlier and walked out before it was my turn - I went honeybadger mode - fuck everyone it's me vs the world :rofl2: nice to meet you - hope you stick around

Sean
Apologies for grammar but I typed that on my phone in bath(impressive eh)
And sorry to helena1 - I have no Doubt ive typed something that will mean she has to work and edit - sorry Helena (she's like my personal censor) :hug: