• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Too afraid to comment

hicks

hicks

I have to agree some people and situations are possibly best ignored. Personally though I don't see much difference between communicating in person or communicating on-line.
There's a world of difference my friend.
70 to 93% of human communication is non-verbal.
Writing to someone loses all that supplementary information.
Plus, you don't get the immediate feedback that you would when talking to someone - i.e. reaction, facial expressions etc.
The scope for simply misinterpreting things is huge.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Speaking of live chats on YouTube, there is a fellow sufferer of Social Anxiety who does live chats on YouTube called Johnny Berba (his channel is also called Johnny Berba). He is a phenomenal guy who has overcome all manner of adversities in life. He is also a former Confidence Coach. He is a real down to earth man who has a way of getting people involved and chatting/contributing in a non-judgemental and non-pressured way in his live chats. His motivational videos also have a wealth of information and certainly worth checking out and even investing in. He is truly inspirational. :)

OCDguy

OCDguy

There's a world of difference my friend.
70 to 93% of human communication is non-verbal.
Writing to someone loses all that supplementary information.
Plus, you don't get the immediate feedback that you would when talking to someone - i.e. reaction, facial expressions etc.
The scope for simply misinterpreting things is huge.
While I don't disagree with you, it can also be a good starting platform to build from and if someone isn't 100% sure what someone means by something they can always ask them to explain more...

O

oncebitten

I have to say I think you said it well. I do not have any social media anymore due to this and of course other stuff...

P

PaleRider13

Your fear is completely rational. But I bet you're really good in debates and talks irl. The fact of the matter is social media lacks expressive context and a whole bunch of other things that make truly genuine communication near impossible.

I used to have proper issues with Facebook, Twitter etc. Then I had to go to therapy and I dropped them all for my mental health. Now I'm only part of a really chill discord group for this game I play and I haven't had any issues. Because instead of getting involved, I simply distance myself for a few days and then return with a fresh attitude. End of the day I know what I feel and believe. You do too, but sadly it seems that conflict is the prominent backdrop for every social media discussion these days. It's like walking into a battlefield and expecting people not to shoot at you. Ideal, but not likely to occur. So minimise exposure where you can - make the battlefield smaller, or more manageable at the very least.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

That's right. I'm too afraid to comment on YouTube or any other social media. It's because of these asswipes who lash at me. That's right. It doesn't matter if I made a comment that wasn't dumb or offensive. The host has every stupid right to spew me with insults, and I'm fuckdamn pissed. If they do that shit, at very least make some COMMENTING RULES. For instance, which comments you should not say, what attitude the host doesn't like, and what are downright rude/stupid.

If the host wants everyone to shut up, then DISABLE the comments! Don't make an ass of yourself by lashing back! I'm so tired of seeing this shit over and OVER again.

And this makes me afraid when I comment on YouTube and even worse on Twitter. I'm scared of the host lashing at my ass or some shit... Mighty terrified right now... 😨😨😨
Social media has become absolutely toxic, even the comments sections on YouTube. You'd be better off not to participate.

Delete FB, Twitter and any other participatory social media. Delete them now, for the sake of your sanity!

As for YouTube, enjoy the content-but stay away from the comments. It's just one more venue for the A-holes to turn into a sewer.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

I have problems with some comments on You Tube as they make me nervous and are more and more aggressive.

OCDguy

OCDguy

We shouldn't let others bully us. Our thoughts and opinions are valid and matter. :)

jajingna

jajingna

If it wasn't obvious before the Internet, it is now: There's a lot of angry people. Better stick to friendlier venues. Not sure why some people are just nasty online. Is it a release for pent up rage or something? If you're anywhere with all sorts of nasty comments, you're in the wrong place. Find a better one.

sab

sab

That's right. I'm too afraid to comment on YouTube or any other social media. It's because of these asswipes who lash at me. That's right. It doesn't matter if I made a comment that wasn't dumb or offensive. The host has every stupid right to spew me with insults, and I'm fuckdamn pissed. If they do that shit, at very least make some COMMENTING RULES. For instance, which comments you should not say, what attitude the host doesn't like, and what are downright rude/stupid.

If the host wants everyone to shut up, then DISABLE the comments! Don't make an ass of yourself by lashing back! I'm so tired of seeing this shit over and OVER again.

And this makes me afraid when I comment on YouTube and even worse on Twitter. I'm scared of the host lashing at my ass or some shit... Mighty terrified right now... 😨😨😨
Never thought I'll find someone who also is afraid to comment on social media. My problem is exactly the same.

Because of rude people I'm afraid of commenting (prefer private messages, which also got me into trouble once). It's sad, because mant times I'd like to post opinion in comments but I'm too afraid.

frisas45

frisas45

Never thought I'll find someone who also is afraid to comment on social media. My problem is exactly the same.

Because of rude people I'm afraid of commenting (prefer private messages, which also got me into trouble once). It's sad, because mant times I'd like to post opinion in comments but I'm too afraid.
Looks I'm not alone :) Thanks! I ain't gonna lash at you or anything...