• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Told dont need ptsd, agoraphobia diagnosis because autism diagnosis.

P

PeacePlease20

Hello there.

Has anyone been through this and found a way to get past the gatekeepers?

**** I dont need assessment for agoraphobia or ptsd because I already have diagnosis of being on the autism spectrum ****.
---------------
It's taken me around 4 years to get to speak to the correct team for diagnosis assessment (START team / nhs) in Lancs.
I've been told that I tick a good amount boxes for agoraphobia and cptsd by several GP's, several therapists (some of have refused to proceed with therapy because I need more intense therapy) AND the psychologist psychiatrist who assessed and diagnosed me with being on the autism spectrum.

My gp referred me for diagnosis (to the START team).
So the START/nhs team.
I was first pre-assessment was with an admin/secretary of sorts. I was told from the beginning of the call that "diagnosis is a label" and to just go to cbt (which is where i was sent from because of needing diagnosis and more intense treatment).
This call ended with being told I can re self refer at any time.

I asked to re-apply, self refer again and was told a manager would call me back.

Two weeks later I got a call from someone saying they had no idea why they were asked to call me.
I explained and was met with the same theres no point, you wont benefit blah blah.
This person isnt the dr and is not in a place to tell me not to bother seeking diagnosis.

While explaining the list of professionals who have told me that I need further help, I mentioned the psychologist psychiatrist who assessed me for autism spectrum.
The man on the phone asked "did you get diagnosed".
Yes.
"And what help did that get you"?
Slight peace of mind but no treatment yes because I cant leave the house and havnt been able to communicate because of the suspected agoraphobia and cptsd.
He continues to try to convince me that I dont need diagnosis because it doesn't help.
I persevere and who knows what little info he took with him to put to the actual doctors to see if I can get assessment for diagnosis.

The following day I get an answer phone message from him, telling me that case will be closed as drs said that **** I dont need assessment for agoraphobia or ptsd because I already have diagnosis of being on the autism spectrum ****.

P

Pollypop

This does not surprise me in the least I’m afraid to say.
The system is like going through a maze.
Hundreds of dead ends.

The left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing
in my area.
There have been so many incorrect actions and reports.
Also, must add, deliberate lies.

There are dozens of incidents over the years.
There are far too many to name.

Their incompetence actually caused PTSD
I am having to be treated privately now.

(It is expensive, but the only option.)

I will never trust them again and have point blank told my gp
I will not be involved with them for anything.

I hope you can get some proper help eventually
Take care.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am really sorry this has happened to you. With agoraphobia, you do not need a diagnosis. You will know if you have it. I used to have it myself and was never diagnosed.

That team sounds utterly useless. Are you able to have your psychiatrist refer you for therapy instead?

P

PeacePlease20

This does not surprise me in the least I’m afraid to say.
The system is like going through a maze.
Hundreds of dead ends.

The left hand never seems to know what the right hand is doing
in my area.
There have been so many incorrect actions and reports.
Also, must add, deliberate lies.

There are dozens of incidents over the years.
There are far too many to name.

Their incompetence actually caused PTSD
I am having to be treated privately now.

(It is expensive, but the only option.)

I will never trust them again and have point blank told my gp
I will not be involved with them for anything.

I hope you can get some proper help eventually
Take care.
Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear that it is possible to get help. I hope you continue to do well.

P

PeacePlease20

I am really sorry this has happened to you. With agoraphobia, you do not need a diagnosis. You will know if you have it. I used to have it myself and was never diagnosed.

That team sounds utterly useless. Are you able to have your psychiatrist refer you for therapy instead?
Thank you for your reply.
I am looking into private. Difficult to navigate though because money and getting caught up in the nhs admins convincing me that I shouldn't even bother.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I disagree with them saying you should not bother. I am glad you are not going to listen to them. I wonder if your GP will be able to help you as they sounded helpful when you first spoke to them.

P

PeacePlease20

I disagree with them saying you should not bother. I am glad you are not going to listen to them. I wonder if your GP will be able to help you as they sounded helpful when you first spoke to them.
Thank you. It's really helpful hearing someone defend not complying with the loudest voices. :)

N

Nukelavee

Next time try this - when they ask what good a diagnosis is, tell them it is the diagnosis that actually qualifies you for the resources to help you. IF you feel brave enough, tell him that you think convincing you, that you don't need a diagnosis, actually is him helping himself, by allowing him to not do his job.

I blast right through petty little gatekeepers like that. Btw - I get it if you don't want to be confrontational with him. Personally, I don't have your patience.

P

PeacePlease20

Next time try this - when they ask what good a diagnosis is, tell them it is the diagnosis that actually qualifies you for the resources to help you. IF you feel brave enough, tell him that you think convincing you, that you don't need a diagnosis, actually is him helping himself, by allowing him to not do his job.

I blast right through petty little gatekeepers like that. Btw - I get it if you don't want to be confrontational with him. Personally, I don't have your patience.
Brilliant. Thanks. I shall keep this in mind.
I did tell him a few things straight. His colleague who tried to do the same before him got more of a telling off. She still only listened to look for fuel to throw back and me though.
I confront until I've use my energy. Then a confused mess.
😊👊 Thanks again for the perspective and encouragement

P

Pollypop

Keep trying as much as you can.
The way you are being treated is disgusting and unprofessional.
They need to be made accountable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Snowfairy Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3