• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Today - the effects of fight or flight

D

dc86uk

Sooooo, here we go. I was having a great day, to be honest, not a bad weekend. Had a few moments, but able to manage it.

Then... there's always a then... Literally in the last half hour I have been sat at my desk in work, a slight pain/ache in my left side, either chest or rib cage, and then I go in to meltdown mode. Fight or flight. Straight to the toilet in work. Terrified of everything. Body is now aching, pins and needles in hands, pain in back next to shoulder blade on left hand side. I have struggled mightily lately with health anxiety regarding my heart (covering old ground here) been to hospital etc etc...

I would just like for my body recognise that every day aches and pains are normal and nothing to react to. At the moment my body and mind is ultra protective and holding me back...

Here's to an improved afternoon.

Dave

N

Nukelavee

I spent Saturday with one of those painful "things" that makes you wonder about a heart attack. It's hard to ignore that sorta pain, even when you know it's nothing.

I know it's hard, but make your self breath and untense. You're going to be fine.

D

dc86uk

I spent Saturday with one of those painful "things" that makes you wonder about a heart attack. It's hard to ignore that sorta pain, even when you know it's nothing.

I know it's hard, but make your self breath and untense. You're going to be fine.
Hi Nukelavee,
I've currently got an anxiety podcast on in work, anything describe and make it all seem normal and not blown up like I have made it.

It does ruin good portions of my days but I am going to get through it.

Hope you're having a good day,

Dave

N

Nukelavee

Hi Nukelavee,
I've currently got an anxiety podcast on in work, anything describe and make it all seem normal and not blown up like I have made it.

It does ruin good portions of my days but I am going to get through it.

Hope you're having a good day,

Dave
Today is all right, except it's like minus 17 outside.

I have noticed that using breathing and mindfulness helps with those weird chest pains, makes them relax and back off. I read that sometimes, we get gas (lol), but a "bubble" gets stuck off to the side of our upper stomach, and that pressure presses on a nerve that causes that sharp pain.

Personally, I've found that if I sorta visualize what is hurting, and the process of why, it helps to make it less painful.

Maybe it's a trick that might help. Plus, if it works, it helps reassure you that it was minor.

Admittedly - I'm big on visualizing, especially the feedback loop aspect of anxiety, between mental and physical sensations. I find picturing the spiral loosening as I breath causes the loop to relax.

All in all, reminding yourself you've got through it before, and will again, is a good move.

Hope the day improves.

D

dc86uk

Today is all right, except it's like minus 17 outside.

I have noticed that using breathing and mindfulness helps with those weird chest pains, makes them relax and back off. I read that sometimes, we get gas (lol), but a "bubble" gets stuck off to the side of our upper stomach, and that pressure presses on a nerve that causes that sharp pain.

Personally, I've found that if I sorta visualize what is hurting, and the process of why, it helps to make it less painful.

Maybe it's a trick that might help. Plus, if it works, it helps reassure you that it was minor.

Admittedly - I'm big on visualizing, especially the feedback loop aspect of anxiety, between mental and physical sensations. I find picturing the spiral loosening as I breath causes the loop to relax.

All in all, reminding yourself you've got through it before, and will again, is a good move.

Hope the day improves.
Hi Nukelavee,

With you on the weather... it is baltic lol.

I have never heard about the gas bubble mind, but then again, I am a complete novice at this and still trying to come to terms with it all. Getting there slowly.

I feel like I am getting with it slowly, realising that when I have a bad patch I have had one before, been through the same thoughts and physical sensations and come out the other side. And I will again.

Hope you are well today,

Dave

N

Nukelavee

I'm not saying your pain is nothing but gas or indigestion, but, yeah, sometimes it's not heartburn, it's a stabbing pain. It's not unreasonable for that sorta thing to stress you out, but sometimes understanding the cause helps teh pain subside. Which helps reduce anxiety.

But - still something you want to verify with a doctor, to be safe.

Have a good day.

D

DerekV08

I get how you feel. I usually feel stressed for days when I have an anxiety episode. Usually shaking.