• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Today my coping skills actually worked

Jam1990

Jam1990

For years I have been through the ringer with different therapies and different medications. Lately my anxiety symptoms have been so rough that my chest is in physical pain from it. Today I thought that I was going to potentially have to go to the emergency room because I felt like I couldn't control my racing heart. I decided that instead of checking myself into the hospital, I should at least try to work on a coping skill. I decided to go on a light jog with some relaxing meditative music. I was a bit skeptical on the jog since my heart was racing already, but I just had to do something, I couldn't take it anymore. I ran for almost a mile and a half, nothing to crazy, and at a very reasonable pace. I felt like I was able to release a bit of my tension on the run but when I got back home I still felt like I needed more. I decided to put on some more relaxing music and do a bit of yoga to stretch out a bit. While I do still feel mildly anxious, my overwhelming anxiety has decreased a moderate amount which has at least gotten me out of the mindset of going to the hospital.

I need to practice letting things go that are beyond my control. I always feel like I need to be in control of everything even though I know its simply impossible. With everything going on in the world right now, I feel more out of control than ever and it's certainly taking it's toll on me. Today the coping skills seemed to take the edge off enough for me to be writing this post. Even though it feels almost impossible to do them when you're feeling down, anxious, and depressed; they might just work. Hope everyone is well today.

B

bpd2020

Hello Jam. It is wonderful to hear you were able to implement coping skills into your anxiety. You sound like you have a lot of insight into what helps.

U

Uno

thats fantastic! i jog every other day and have found it useful for release of tension. i am considering yoga and your post is making me lean towards it even more so i might give that a go soon. well done in finding something that works for you :)

N

Nukelavee

Good!

Now, hold on to the memory of the relief you felt that it worked, to reinforce the technique. A big part of fighting anxiety is knowing that you can, eventually, get it to subside, and remembering how you did it.

Accepting some things are beyond our control, even for the near or mid future, is a huge step, and doesn't mean we can't try to deal with it later on.