• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tobacco

A

Apotheosis

I am very addicted to smoking. I can't seem to stop. It obviously isn't healthy.

sallyG

sallyG

im addicted but can stop when i want to..its just the urge doesnt take me very often..lol..having said that..im mid quit now.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I'm on about 25 a day and theres no way I could stop - on the plus side my excuse is that my GP told me it would do me more harm than good to try to stop because of my nerves so I'll hold on to that!! Its the cost of it that bothers me!! Its so bloody expensive!! On the health side I figure we've all got to die of something!! My 2 grandfathers both died of cancer and had never smoked a day in their lives!! My Nana stopped smoking for her health when she was in her late 60's for her health and she died a year later, miserable cos smoking was her only vice!!

sallyG

sallyG

i was also told by my gp not to quit as it would be bad for my mental health...hes not wrong i have to say..:redface:

bluenomore

bluenomore

i was also told by my gp not to quit as it would be bad for my mental health...hes not wrong i have to say..:redface:
Yeah, I got told this also

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
There you go then Apo, its yet another thing we can blame on our wonky heads!!

A

Apotheosis

There you go then Apo, its yet another thing we can blame on our wonky heads!!
Yes. :). I just would love to be in the position of not smoking. I'm not in the right space to try stopping again at the moment. I smoke too much 40-50 Roll Ups a day. I do roll them thin. But still, it's no good really. & I hope that one day I do conquer this addiction.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I've been smoking for 36 years. My last serious attempt to quit was when I was 19. My mother begged me to start again...which I did but not for her. :unsure:

I don't want to live forever, and this life is certainly painful enough...

schiz01

schiz01

Yes. :). I just would love to be in the position of not smoking. I'm not in the right space to try stopping again at the moment. I smoke too much 40-50 Roll Ups a day. I do roll them thin. But still, it's no good really. & I hope that one day I do conquer this addiction.
Im the same...love/hate my rolly's
I remember reading some where that smoking releases dopamine and give you relief from symptoms temporarily....i think the report stated that 75% of schizophrenics were heavy smokers

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yeah thats weird isnt it why just scitzophrenics lol? what about other illnesses
:confused:

S

schizzzoid

I think smoking goes across the entire MH spectrum, and, if I remember righlty, it has something to do with the same chemicals being released during panic, anxiety and nicotine withdrawl, which would kind of explain why people with MH conditions smoke. I've never come across a MH condition which makes you calm and at ease with the world! :D

Q

quality factor

I'm on about 15~20 a day currently. I too have been advised by the 'professionals' not to give up at the moment because of the state of my mental health! I don't think I could anyway.

QF.

S

*Sapphire*

I have gone through times when I have been told not to give up because of my mental health status at that time, that it would be far too stressful for me. But now the doctors are begining to apply the pressure for me to stop. I would love to, I hate smoking, the smell, the stigma, the health problems, everything about it. So much so that most people I have met in the last few years do not know I smoke, because I don't want to admit it to them. I am really just addicted to the nicotene. However after many failed attempts to stop with supplements, and going cold turkey, I don't know how to. One time I stopped my colleagues at work begged me to start again. I was mortified.

If anyone knows a sure fire way to stop without causing me so much misery and grief, or a deterioration in my mental health do please let me know! :D

J

jamesdean

I'malmost four years off them n its a load of nonsense my nerves are much better off them than on them they make you nervous its just like a crutch to hide behind because they stimulate the mind momentarily n all it is a loads of you rmoney going up in smoke I really cannot tell anyone how good it is to not smoke,n I'mnot an anti smoker becausemy bf smokes n I dontmind but honestly all them fags are a couple of nice holidays n the clean lovely feeling you get when you are off themthough I quite like the smell but niot in the house n Ihave to say that the pubs are all closing down because they have lost their atmosphere n another +thing in favour of the smoker I do find it al lso bloody anti social that people have to go in to a garden to smoke.
it amazes me where all these pubs found all these smoking gardens.

Enjoy your fags guys if thats your thing personally I prefer the drug of choice cocaine.Though everyone willproberly slate mefor that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!