• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

To work or not to work?

I

Imager

I want to be able to hold down a job but the paranoia prevents me. Seems to me I'm damned if I work and I'm damned if i'm not.

I

Imager

In a way I'm free because I'm mad and people have low expectations of me. Plus I can do whatever I want (within the law, obviously) albeit on a limited budget.

L

Lab rat

I hope to return to work this year, pandemic allowing 😡

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

If you want to have fun work for an independent small company - either a shop or a trade or an office. you can make friends and not get bogged down in company policies.

The great thing about work is that they give you money. really it is hard to get money usually so i think it is a good option

I

Imager

If you want to have fun work for an independent small company - either a shop or a trade or an office. you can make friends and not get bogged down in company policies.

The great thing about work is that they give you money. really it is hard to get money usually so i think it is a good option
I have enough money to survive. I really don't think I can hack work with my condition, my age and lack of skills.

L

Lab rat

I doubt I’ll ever work for one of the FANG companies! Lol

Yea, either a smaller company or maybe freelance appeals, thanks for the tip! 😃

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

At first when I couldn't work due to my mental illness, for years I just sat at home and did nothing. I was very depressed, my symptoms were out of control, and I was in and out of hospitals. I felt like I had no meaning to my life. Finally I started volunteering at a charity shop/food pantry for the poor and my life has improved greatly since then. My symptoms have also improved. I think the volunteering adds just the right amount of time to my day, comradery, physical exercise, and sense of purpose to my life.

I

Imager

I owe it to myself to continue the voluntary work I have been doing. Right now I have no direction and little self esteem. I'm going around in a self destructive loop and the voices are telling me how worthless I am. The lockdown hasn't helped. I want to have some meaning and purpose in my life. Prior to the voluntary work I had been unemployed for 12 years, hardly leaving my home. I desperately need to set myself goals and have some self discipline but my thought processes are very messed up.