• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

To Reveal or Not to Reveal

I

IOPan

Like many people who experience mental health problems (I have Bipolar-disorder) I have spent time in and out of employment depending on the state of my mental health. Currently I’m unemployed and I’m searching for a part-time job (full time is just too stressful I find) The question is this: Do I reveal to a prospective employer that I have a mental health condition? In an ideal world, employers would not be prejudiced. But that’s not really the case is it? I would like to be honest and reveal my mental health issue – after all I may require time off to see my CPN or psychiatrist – but I’m afraid that a prospective employer will just drop my CV in the bin once I’ve told them of my issues. What to do?

dib4uk

dib4uk

Well if you lie and go into crises then what would happen? It is a tricky situation to be in, but i think that honesty is the best policy and just declare that you have a mental health problem... bipola is covered under the mental health discrimination act.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Seen as you are looking for part time work I wouldn't tell them.You could arrange appointments around your job.From my experience employers will discriminate.My situation is worsened by my criminal record from an offence in 1994.I've always lied about it.
Its dishonest but the reality is you probably will get turned down if you tell them.So you need to do what you think is best for yourself.
If you think that your mental health will affect your attendance at work because it has in the past and you reveal it during an interview then you have almost no chance of getting the job.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

A

Apotheosis

Hasn't that Law now changed? & you don't need to declare MH conditions until after acceptance with an application?

I

IOPan

Thanks for the advice folks - and for that helpful link.
I think that what I'll do is keep quiet about my condition prior to any interview (as it seems that legally this is allowed). Then in an interview I'll just play it by ear and unless the issue is specifically addressed, ie. if they ask "Why did you leave your last job?" I'll keep it to myself. I don't want to be dishonest - but then I don't want to talk myself out of a job.