• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

To move or not to move (home)

E

english rose

I live in a private rented flat. I'm not on the council's housing waiting list - I was for many years but then they removed me because they said that there was no chance of me ever being offered a place; I have mixed emotions about this because I wouldn't want to live in about 90% of my council's jurisdiction. I am on the waiting list in a neighbouring borough, obviously as a non-resident I am less likely to get somewhere than residents; I do occasionally bid for places - but I'm 42 & most of their one bedroom flats are for the over 50s, there is also the issue of pets - I have a dog & cat & when they die I will want to 'replace' them (many flats do not accept pets, it's usually the non age restricted places that don't). I am worried that this council may change their rules regarding non-residents being on the housing register (this happened with a couple of other neighbouring boroughs who I registered with), with this in mind I'm wondering if I should move to another private rented flat in that borough & then hopefully get a council place there when I'm 50; I've seen a flat which is just over the border, the thing is though a) I can't afford the deposit myself & b) I do not have the energy to do all the work required for a move.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Where could you get the deposit from?
Maybe you could pack them unpack over a few weeks to make it easier.

E

english rose

Where could you get the deposit from?
Maybe you could pack them unpack over a few weeks to make it easier.
My mum is the only option & I just don't want to ask for any more money off her, she's been giving me a lot of money lately as the DWP fist took £50 pw off me & then left me with nothing.

SarahD

SarahD

Are there any housing associations near you or in neighbouring areas? They often are an alternative source of social housing and sometimes are more likely to have one bedroom flats. Sometimes the waiting time is a lot less than the Council.

I don't have any ideas about getting the money.

You could contact local support lines,or the CAB to see if they have any ideas.

A friend of mine got help from a local Church to help her move house.

E

english rose

Are there any housing associations near you or in neighbouring areas? They often are an alternative source of social housing and sometimes are more likely to have one bedroom flats. Sometimes the waiting time is a lot less than the Council.

I don't have any ideas about getting the money.

You could contact local support lines,or the CAB to see if they have any ideas.

A friend of mine got help from a local Church to help her move house.
Housing associations work with councils - you cannot approach them directly, you must be registered with the council & they take people passed on to them by the council, in the case of the neighbouring borough to me which has bidding (mine does not have bidding), you can bid on HA properties.

SarahD

SarahD

Things must have changed then. My previous flat was with a Housing Association and I applied directly to several and was on several waiting lists before I got my flat.

E

english rose

Things must have changed then. My previous flat was with a Housing Association and I applied directly to several and was on several waiting lists before I got my flat.
It's possible that things vary depending on what area you live in.

E

english rose

The chances of getting a HA one bedroom flat where pets are allowed is remote, I cannot live without my pets or indeed any pets.

SarahD

SarahD

Yes it is hard to get a flat where pets are allowed.

Thinking about the Councils/housing associations, I suppose things began to change when a lot of Councils appointed other bodies to run their social housing, some were housing associations. It is a shame because some catered for particular groups of people who found it hard to get housing. These days it is very hard to get social housing, I do sympathise with you.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't know where you live in london, but some brent housing officer said the housing in the borough would be stuck as it'd fill with the people moving out of private housing in westminster due to bedroom tax max income rules etc, he said a lot would have a brent connection

Hear of people been housed in brum etc

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6