To Be or Not To Be

A

Amathe77

I went to the doctor for the first time in months, as I realized I probably should go back on medication before I completely lose it. I just went to my regular family doctor, as I had seen the other doctor on-site give my friend antidepressants. We had never discussed my mental health or what I had been diagnosed with prior to today. I really am not a fan of those with the title of Psychiatrist. I've seen tons of them and they don't seem genuinely interested or like they give a crap about whether I drop dead or not. I try to steer clear of them, as it stresses me out. I feel like they're harshly judging me and the anxiety I feel towards them is not good.

I was super anxious and stressed to go discuss this stuff today, as I'm not a fan of ever talking about it. My doctor informed me that she doesn't "feel comfortable" with prescribing me psych meds. I do respect the fact that she does not feel she has the expertise I need. However, she did say that this is related to my list of diagnoses and that my suicide possibility rate is much higher any way. Apparently, young adults have a higher rate of suicidal ideation/attempts as side effects to a lot of the medications? That doesn't surprise me, if it's true. I kind of took this as her being afraid she'd be held accountable for me offing myself or something. She then informed me that she was going to refer me to a new group of psychiatrists at the local hospital, whom her other patients seem to do well with.

I already had been told some difficult medical news and the new psychiatrist idea really made me want to puke. I even started tearing up, which seems pretty ridiculous. I'm sure this is related to my anxiety and distaste, alone with my lack of medication. I really liked my doctor and now I almost have this weird sense of betrayal because she doesn't want to deal with my mental illnesses. A doctor at the same level dealt with my friend's mental illnesses, so it just struck a chord. I feel like I'm the only person who has such distaste for psychiatrists, but I can't magically change how I feel about it. I wish I could. God knows it would help me in the long run. I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I felt I should share my thoughts somewhere.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

and that indeed is the question said Shakesphere
Yes best stay away from the psychiatrist if feasible

My doctor informed me that she doesn't "feel comfortable" with prescribing me psych meds.
Wow that is amazing and yet
She then informed me that she was going to refer me to a new group of psychiatrists at the local hospital, whom her other patients seem to do well with.
Bit of a contradiction but if she is holding out for a better offering then maybe….

Oh no you sure aren’t alone in your distaste for psychiatrists, right from a young age… but I am not allowed to say much about this so I wont…

Yeah doctors and their limitations discovered something quite shocking today regarding that

Me I have kept life simple and I see other folk I knew a few years back that were in the system and they don’t look so good. Its not easy being out of the mental illness system… but if its possible… but then I have anxiety and depression. So its doable ….just

E

EstherRose94

I went to the doctor for the first time in months, as I realized I probably should go back on medication before I completely lose it. I just went to my regular family doctor, as I had seen the other doctor on-site give my friend antidepressants. We had never discussed my mental health or what I had been diagnosed with prior to today. I really am not a fan of those with the title of Psychiatrist. I've seen tons of them and they don't seem genuinely interested or like they give a crap about whether I drop dead or not. I try to steer clear of them, as it stresses me out. I feel like they're harshly judging me and the anxiety I feel towards them is not good.

I was super anxious and stressed to go discuss this stuff today, as I'm not a fan of ever talking about it. My doctor informed me that she doesn't "feel comfortable" with prescribing me psych meds. I do respect the fact that she does not feel she has the expertise I need. However, she did say that this is related to my list of diagnoses and that my suicide possibility rate is much higher any way. Apparently, young adults have a higher rate of suicidal ideation/attempts as side effects to a lot of the medications? That doesn't surprise me, if it's true. I kind of took this as her being afraid she'd be held accountable for me offing myself or something. She then informed me that she was going to refer me to a new group of psychiatrists at the local hospital, whom her other patients seem to do well with.

I already had been told some difficult medical news and the new psychiatrist idea really made me want to puke. I even started tearing up, which seems pretty ridiculous. I'm sure this is related to my anxiety and distaste, alone with my lack of medication. I really liked my doctor and now I almost have this weird sense of betrayal because she doesn't want to deal with my mental illnesses. A doctor at the same level dealt with my friend's mental illnesses, so it just struck a chord. I feel like I'm the only person who has such distaste for psychiatrists, but I can't magically change how I feel about it. I wish I could. God knows it would help me in the long run. I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I felt I should share my thoughts somewhere.
I don’t think she’s at all betraying you. I think she wants you to get the best possible help and she doesnt feel she can give it. She knows that there could be side effects to what she prescribes so she wants someone with more expertise in those meds to pick one for you.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel like I'm the only person who has such distaste for psychiatrists, but I can't magically change how I feel about it. I wish I could. God knows it would help me in the long run. I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I felt I should share my thoughts somewhere.
Not alone, you are in good company. It doesn't sound ridiculous at all; you are showing good common sense not to trust a doc who obviously doesn't care about you or your health.