• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

To anyone who suffers from schizophrenia, I need advice

Louizard

Louizard

First of all I want to tell you all good evening, and I'm hoping you're doing well these days.

I know a caring person who's very dear to me, and they suffer from schizophrenia. I can't really understand what it's like, but I can tell it's hard for them to handle daily tasks and much more. Although given my mental condition it's hard, I try my best to be there for them but I don't think it's enough.
What can I do for them? And most importantly are there any particular things I have to avoid saying or pointing out?

N

natalie

Hi Louizard,

I do realise that you live in Italy, would it not be possible, if there is a system whereby you could organise, carers or companions to come in, carers preferably, and they could excess help with daily tasks? This is just an idea i have.

Also are they on medication? now, we at MHF as you probably are aware can't prognose, however, if they are not, then the best way forward is for them to be seen via a doctor, and if they can't then someone else suitable, could be referred to, and write up suitable medication.

It's best to let them come out saying anything as such, such as, they might have paranoia problems, or heard voices, as long as the heard voices, are not of the instructive sort to do anything serirously wrongdoing, if the symptons are mild, they should then be and or on med, manageable.

I hope this might help.

Best regards.

E

emmygw14

Hello! I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, where schizophrenia is also accompanied by a mood disorder. I'm so genuinely happy that you want to help understand and support your friend better! You're a really good friend :)

I recommend starting a conversation with your friend about how you can support them through their day-to-day life. Being open and talking about illness is difficult and is different from person to person-- so I would ask them directly, but remind them that you come from a place of love and respect for their wellbeing. Each person's experience with schizophrenia and psychosis is different, so I won't speak of my experiences as being the same as your friend.

Don't push for information if they don't want to give it, but let them know that you're there for them and vice versa. Good luck and take care!

Louizard

Louizard

Hello! I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, where schizophrenia is also accompanied by a mood disorder. I'm so genuinely happy that you want to help understand and support your friend better! You're a really good friend :)

I recommend starting a conversation with your friend about how you can support them through their day-to-day life. Being open and talking about illness is difficult and is different from person to person-- so I would ask them directly, but remind them that you come from a place of love and respect for their wellbeing. Each person's experience with schizophrenia and psychosis is different, so I won't speak of my experiences as being the same as your friend.

Don't push for information if they don't want to give it, but let them know that you're there for them and vice versa. Good luck and take care!
Thank you so much, knowing my friend I realize being direct will avoid any misunderstanding, and I will make sure to respect the boundaries. Thank you for your help!

Louizard

Louizard

Hi Louizard,

I do realise that you live in Italy, would it not be possible, if there is a system whereby you could organise, carers or companions to come in, carers preferably, and they could excess help with daily tasks? This is just an idea i have.

Also are they on medication? now, we at MHF as you probably are aware can't prognose, however, if they are not, then the best way forward is for them to be seen via a doctor, and if they can't then someone else suitable, could be referred to, and write up suitable medication.

It's best to let them come out saying anything as such, such as, they might have paranoia problems, or heard voices, as long as the heard voices, are not of the instructive sort to do anything serirously wrongdoing, if the symptons are mild, they should then be and or on med, manageable.

I hope this might help.

Best regards.
Hello Natalie, don't worry about my friend well-being as they're being followed by medical professionals, and I will always try my best to be with them. Thank you for your reply

K

karl7

First of all I want to tell you all good evening, and I'm hoping you're doing well these days.

I know a caring person who's very dear to me, and they suffer from schizophrenia. I can't really understand what it's like, but I can tell it's hard for them to handle daily tasks and much more. Although given my mental condition it's hard, I try my best to be there for them but I don't think it's enough.
What can I do for them? And most importantly are there any particular things I have to avoid saying or pointing out?
keep being supportive as a friend.....understand that schizophrenia is a very stressful illness....and symptoms can be hard to understand for an individual who doesnt have it

A

AfricaJohnson

Continue to be support. While inhave schizophrenia it can be difficult at times. I need support when I'm having an episode

M

Metalman5

Hi Louizard, I am glad you are trying to help your friend, that is very sweet!

where I live in southern Maryland there is little to no help for mental illness and is a social desert. I have seen many people go down hill fast from mental illness including myself at times. I feel if only the people I knowhad a few good friends watching them they could be doing better now.

just the fact that you are there for your friend is big help. Also, you probably have a better healthcare system and doctors in place.

you are a great person who is doing a lot and I wish you and your friend lots of luck!

cheers, metalman5