• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation)

M

mindbodysoul

I have a consultation booked to learn more about TMS. I was happy to find that my insurance covers it. I have Bipolar with depression. But I have had other labels and I dont know if this will be a conflict. I cannot handle anti-depressants. They either make me depressed or manic or have no effect.

I'm taking Abilify 10mgs and Vistaril 25mgs a day. It seems to keep me at an even keel, but isn't helping with the depression and I want to know if TMS is safe for someone with schizophrenia. I dont really hallucinate or have delusions but lately I have been feeling off/depressed/just tired of the avolition and lack of motivation to do things, to be creative.

I feel like Im fake or i dont have a true personality. But if I have paranoia, then that would ruin the chances it'll be effective. I have not been paranoid in awhile....just recently have been out of it sort of, and nothing else seems to work to bring me back. I know people with schizophrenia have tried ECT and its helped, I think TMS would be a better approach and is completely opposite than ECT. I cant smoke weed because it makes me paranoid, and I smoked some to feel better and had a brief episode. I Think depression is moreso my illness than schizophrenia.

instead of inducing seizures or frying the areas that over over-excited TMS stimulates certain areas of the brain to look normal like others or most peoples brain looks like when happy or sad....so sort of normalizes or harmonizes the brain? It seems like that could work or help people but Im still unsure about its effectiveness or safety being that its a new tech and I have not heard from others.

G

goodgollymiss

Our new hospital has tms!

G

goodgollymiss

Thanks for the like. I heard that the side effects were mild compared to ect