• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Tired of fighting depression.

M

Mr T

Just joined this forum today,a male in my 50s, have had depression for the best part of 30 years consistently let down by poor mental health services and gps,IV lossed everything over the years and been on so many different meds, diagnosed as Major Depression Disorder (MDD). Serverity of the Condition seems to increase as I get older,one failed attempt at suicide awhile ago,and very matter of fact about trying again.As well as taking my prescription medications,I think I am addicted to pain management medication, taking more and more to help with the gut renching dark moods and thoughts.The pain meds give me that false sense of well-being but as the effect dies off,leaves me aggressive . Saddening to read about all the issues on here,and so many young people, and most I can identify with.Its very easy to see how drugs and drink numb the pain and then addiction follows. Unfortunately I have no answers and feel tired and old battling this on aday to day basis,I feel a sense of relief that soon I will be low enough and strong enough to become one more suicide case .

M

Miho

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mr T, first of I loved you in Rocky 3.

But all kidding aside. Welcome here. I myself just turned 41 and you are right. The amount of youth here is enough to make anyone sad.
I remember people saying that mental health gets a bit better with age. Things like bpd etc. But for me its the other way around. It gets harder by time.
But there are a lot of people here that know the struggles. That know what you and I are going through.
Stay with us and share your experiences.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Just joined this forum today,a male in my 50s, have had depression for the best part of 30 years consistently let down by poor mental health services and gps,IV lossed everything over the years and been on so many different meds, diagnosed as Major Depression Disorder (MDD). Serverity of the Condition seems to increase as I get older,one failed attempt at suicide awhile ago,and very matter of fact about trying again.As well as taking my prescription medications,I think I am addicted to pain management medication, taking more and more to help with the gut renching dark moods and thoughts.The pain meds give me that false sense of well-being but as the effect dies off,leaves me aggressive . Saddening to read about all the issues on here,and so many young people, and most I can identify with.Its very easy to see how drugs and drink numb the pain and then addiction follows. Unfortunately I have no answers and feel tired and old battling this on aday to day basis,I feel a sense of relief that soon I will be low enough and strong enough to become one more suicide case .
First of all, welcome to the forum Mr. T. You'll find many here who share your condition and can empathize.

I'm 66 and have had clincal depression since I was in my teens. It's been a lifelong battle, just as yours has been. I was put on SSRI medication initially 25 years ago and it has helped, but your body will eventually get used to the medication over time and you'll need to change it (there is technical term for this, but it escapes me at the moment). Recently, I changed from Paxil to Xoloft because the former no longer had the desired effect.

As for taking things other than prescription medication to address depression, that's not a good idea. As you noted, they can have an after-effect which is undesirable. While I say that, I have a beer or two in the afternoons because the mild buzz that creates helps me deal with the anxiety which is the other side of depression. I work in a high stress industry (continue working from home during the pandemic) and the relaxing effect of mild amounts of alcohol helps me get through the days. As long as it's only a beer or two or a glass of wine, I guess that's not too bad. Heavy drinking obviously is another matter.

One of the benefits to posting in this forum is reading what all the other folks are battling. The pandemic has really challenged all of us and those of us with mental health issues are really struggling-but we are not alone. You see that in this forum. The emotional freight that some folks are carrying around on their shoulders is unbelievable. A kind word, some empathy or encouragement is sometimes all that's needed to help others keep on keeping on. You'll find that here.

Take it day by day, every day you climb into bed at the end of it and pull the covers over you is another victory. Depression is part of us, but it need not control us. We can learn to live with it-I've done it for 66 years and counting. But there have been episodes where I, like you, considered drastic action. Fortunately, the times I got there I had people in my life who recognized that and stepped in to make decisions for me that I wasn't capable of making for myself at that time. We all need people in our lives we can count on like that, even the strongest of us can find themselves threatened if events conspire against us. Network with people you can rely on when you need them. Take care.

Blooming

Blooming

Hi and welcome Mr T. Life can be hard sometimes. If you are addicted to pain management medication, may be you need to come off them (at a clinic). I understand that you are skeptic to go to a clinic, but that is probably better than to try alone. Have you tried MIndfulness? In Mindfulness one learn to direct one's focus where one wants. That can be used to shift focus away from the pain.

I think Alexander Ypsialantis gave you a good answer. We can all learn to live with it (some days are worse, some better). Like he said: " Take it day by day, every day you climb into bed at the end of it and pull the covers over you is another victory." He also gave the advice: " Network with people you can rely on when you need them. Take care." If you don't have such a network, look into organizations where you live or search the net for online groups.

Here is an example of one type of group:
Chapters and Support Groups - Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (dbsalliance.org)

Here is a link that takes you to, among other, "Pills Anonoumus". You don't have to be a Christian to be a member of such a group. You can look for some kind of similar groups were you live. For now we have to cope with Corona and lockdowns some places, but that will pass. I hope you find some peace! ☺

What Happens in Drug Addicts Anonymous? - Breathe Life Healing Centers | West Hollywood | CA

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I'm basically like you @Alexander Ypsilantis. I'm 61 and have had clincal depression since I was in my teens. It's been a lifelong battle, just as yours has been. I like it when you say, "We can all learn to live with it (some days are worse, some better). Take it day by day, every day you climb into bed at the end of it and pull the covers over you is another victory." I just wish I had a support network in person. This forum is the next best thing. Thanks, everyone!

T

treasurebox

Listen to good and uplifting songs on youtube. It worked for me. Music is therapeutic. Listen several times a day.