• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Tired of being tired

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Anyone else feeling the same on this dreary afternoon?

Went for a walk and got annoyed by all the people. Can't concentrate on the tele. Back in bed and knackered.

Not quite sure what I am expecting anybody to say. Sometime it just feels better to write it down I guess?

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
yeap constantly tired.:sleep:

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

It is actually the being tired that is getting me down now. Tried taking exercise, changed my diet, gave up drinking a couple of months ago. And still the feeling exhausted is getting me down. :(

T

telemetry9

Hello,

It's really hard when you have commitments such as work or looking after the kids...etc....Feeling that deep down exhaustion so overwhelming that you can hardly take another step and all those chores we must do during the day have to be forced. Like wading through treacle.

Over the years I've learned a few thing that help me. Breaking tasks down into small ones (as i've mentioned before) and coming back to the same task again. Hanging my t-shirts and shirts on hangers after they have come out of the wash and are still damp helps enormously when it comes to ironing them.

I put my breakfast out the night before and cover the cereal with a plate - so I know in the morning I have less to do as the mornings are hardest for me.

Get rid of the hoover and get yourself a cordless dustbuster and electric cordless sweeper. Much less effort than the spectre of the hoover. Of course I'm assuming you live alone. I live alone and so I don't have anyone to help me do those jobs so I've had to find new ways to get them done whilst living with exhaustion.

Taking my dog for her walk seems impossible sometimes to the point that I almost resent her but then I remember she gets me out of the house for a bit. There are times when I can cry at the thought of having to do things when I don't have any energy left. Unless you've experienced it - it's hard to convey how frustrating and confidence eroding it can be.

I really find that doing things last thing at night when my energy is at its "peak" makes them seem less daunting somehow.

I find if I have to clean the fridge etc....I no longer have a big debacle over it - I simply do one shelf at a time with some diluted bleach spray and kitchen roll. Much easier than taking the whole thing apart and pulling everything out and really just as effective.

These things might seem trivial to some people but to me they are extremely important. Doing them is the difference between being independent or going completely under and having to ask for help from someone. So; anything we can learn from one another is vital. Personally speaking; it would make me feel much more depressed to live in a dirty or untidy house and I find that the small sense of accomplishment I get in doing them; helps.

Of course we all get good days amidst the darker ones and at those times I wish I could press a button to keep it that way.

Don't blame yourself and if you have endogenous depression that is a chemical imbalance then taking the rocky road of endeavoring to try another medication might improve your energy levels. Although it's a real journey that one with no guarantee at the end of it. For me - lustral really gave me a lot of my life back a few years ago...until it began to stop working after 3 years.

all the best
robert.

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Hi Robert,

Thanks once again for your full and informative response. I know full well what you mean about the most basic of stuff seeming impossible to achieve sometimes.

As you say I try and break it down into small chunks and give myself a list of things to do each day. They are not big but just enough to keep things ticking over and giving me something achievable to do.

My main problem is I have kept trying to take too much on. I am however slowly learning.

L

Lady Summer Isles

Sorry to hi-jack the post but can i ask Robert what kind of cordless electric sweeper he has. Is it very noisy only i find using the hoover too much because of the noise. I agree in breaking down tasks, it's the only way i can function e.g cleaned 1 pane of glass in one window today. I wash up in stages, in fact everything:redface:
The tiredness is awfull and makes the depression much worse. Hope you feel bit better soon. Off for a :sleep::sleep::sleep: now.
Take care
Tannith

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

We are all here to help one another so there is no hijacking and definitely no need to apologise. Hope you have good fortune in finding a suitable sweeper.

T

telemetry9

Hello Tannith,

I've had a wee philips electric sweeper for about 2 years now and it is nothing short of fantastic. I really believe it cleans better than the big and powerful vacuum I used to have. I can carry it about and it does a great job with little effort and noise (big plus if you have pets in the house). It actually cleans and takes up that micro particle dust too.

I've done a bit of research and the best cordless sweeper is the: GTECH Cordless Sweeper 7.2v NiMH SW02. You can find this at a few places online such as amazon. It has the power to also do relatively deep pile carpets and has edging brushes also (mine doesn't).

It's one thing I can't recommend highly enough. I've often thought of how much my mum would have loved these fantastic pieces of kit as they really take a lot of the hassle out of cleaning.

best wishes
robert.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Good ideas Telemetry. I'm going off in a minute to wash a few dishes up so we have clean cups for the morning then I'm going to bed.

L

Lady Summer Isles

Hi Robert
Just wanted to thank you for your reply and information. Have had a look at the one you've suggested and i think i will treat myself to one. I can end up going weeks without hoovering and I hate the place being in such a mess. I have a cat who is constantly moulting as well. Once again many thanks.
Take care
Tannith

T

telemetry9

You must let me know how you get on with it.

good luck

robert.

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

So after the success of my CBT on Tuesday (which I have written about elsewhere) I actually felt 'normal' yesterday.

I reckon it was the first time for two years that I had been able to function properly all day. I am paying the price for it today though as I feel I may have got a bit carried away with how good I was feeling and taken too much on.

Still it is progress I guess. Lets hope for a repeat of that feeling soon.

T

timamu

:clap: Well done fella, now relax and pat yourself on the back.

T

telemetry9

I think sometimes that something protects us when we have disclosed or endeavored to understand our own journey.

I can only mention the feeling of being supported I have sometimes felt when leaving a counselling session on that first or 2nd or .....? visit.(back in the day when I had positive experience with a counsellor).

It's brave to go on that journey of understanding and it is a painful one for a lot of people - such efforts don't go unnoticed I believe. I don't think we are ever truly alone in the journey of our lives and especially at those times.

That's just my own interpretation and what I have learned - not saying I'm right or it applies to everyone else.

I'm glad you had a good day and plenty of good moments.

Robert

"a world at peace begins in the individual heart and mind."

T

timamu

I think sometimes that something protects us when we have disclosed or endeavored to understand our own journey.
Good words again Robert!