• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tips on coping with anxiety?

L

LilMsPurple

Hi. I'm new to the site and I'm posting this here cos I think its the right place for it; I know whats wrong with me and I've been pretty much better for a while now, but I'm having problems coping with my anxiety, as the title suggests. This isn't something that bothers me all the time, sometimes I'm completely fine, what prompted me to make this post is how it's affecting me at uni. I can't get through a tutorial with any of my tutors without having an anxiety attack, which is not only very embarassing but annoying because it means that I miss out on advice which would probably be pretty helpful. At uni isnt the only time this happens either and I hate how much my anxiety gets in the way of me doing things I want to do; for example I havent had a boyfriend for over 2 years because I'm too nervous to do anything about any of my crushes, I have trouble with job interviews because I get nervous in the middle, I can barely even make simple decisions without getting stressed out and anxious!

There are a few other things that are affecting my life; I get ill whenever I'm stressed, which is a real problem because I'm at uni and my workload is often quite heavy, so I get ill a lot, which makes it even harder to do my work! Also, whenever something happens that upsets me or stresses me out my reaction is like a downward spiral, instead of moving on from it the place I go to is "I can't cope with this, I'm totally useless, I want out...." etc, even though I know I dont want out, its almost like Im trying to go back to all the depressive thought processes and behaviours and I dont like that thats where I keep going back to.

So if anybody has any tips or ways at all of coping with or stopping this anxiety I'd be really grateful for hearing them. I know my symptoms are pretty minor, its just that I've spent a long time battling through recovery and I'm sick of feeling like I cant cope with my everyday life!

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Lmp

Have you tried any anxiety management cd's at all - I think you can look on the net and there are a wide variety - I have one from my local c.m.h.t that helps when I listen to it.

Welcome to the forum anyway and no ones problems are too small or too big to talk about here - I hope you find it helpful here.

KS

L

LilMsPurple

Thanks keepsafe, I'll have a look for some and see if they help...

S

stresshead

Hi there,

Sports help me a lot to feel better in many situations. 20min on the bicycle is good for the general wellbeing for example. Team or partnersports are good fun as well depending on what you enjoy.
I take it as a girl that boxing is not something you favour but it has helped me release negative energy and in turn also increased my confidence to cope with pressure. A punch bag, bicycle or a few hours in a gym everyonce in a while doesn't cost much neither.
hope that helps

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Faith198 Other 3
Faith198 Other 6
A Other 2
F Other 3