• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Tips for staying calm whilst in social situations?

C

coraline1664

My friend would like to see me, I haven't seen him in a while so would like to see him too. He's recently moved to London and only comes up here every month or so. The problem is that usually I pace before someone is due to arrive or and try and battle my thoughts so i'm calm where they get here- it rarely works. I am so scared by the time they arrive that i can't get a cohesive sentence out and sit nervously for the duration of their visit- it's horrible-every second is drawn out and I feel like I am making a complete idiot of myself which is more painful with people I like. I know good friends don't mind and just want to see me, but I want to just enjoy it. Does anyone have any tips? I am not very good at relaxation, I find it very difficult, when I focus on my breathing it makes me feel more panicked.

E

S

saint

I find but only by myself, breathing in through ur nose and out through ur mouth and really try to clear your head, also breathing into your hands so you dont lose any air helps.
sometimes nothing helps for me but the last resort is to cover my head with a blanket and it goes away after 10 mins and I feel full of energy.

doubt that helps, but i get them every few days, mostly over cardiophobia, i know how u feel :(