• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tips for Stammering

S

Saarang123

Hello all,
I tend to stammer when I'm speaking something that I've prepared before in front of an audience usually. It's embarrassing :( . Like when I have to give a speech in front of an audience, I tent to stammer. No clue why it happens, I'm usually fine otherwise. It also happens once in a while when I'm with my friends talking casually and I think I get too excited? I'm not too sure. I could use some advice on how I can fix it. Before when I was small, I used to speak with an "accent" while speaking and I usually spoke fine. Now I'm afraid of speaking in an accent cause I'm afraid people will judge me :( I used to recite poems and sing and I used to be fine but now I don't do any of it cuz I'm scared what people will think of me. I need to fix this problem and fast. Any tips? I know I should try speaking with an "accent" again but I just can't seem to make myself do it. Please help.
Thanks,
Saarang

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. I know nothing about stammering and what causes it or how to stop it. That said, it appears to be an anxiety thing. I did learn in speech therapy (I was a nurse and it was one of the things we had to do in training) was to slow down how we spoke and give us time to form the words. It gets bad when you are excited, well that seems to go along with this doesn't it? Just my thoughts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Anxiety Forum 28
A Anxiety Forum 2
B Anxiety Forum 4
A Anxiety Forum 10
G Anxiety Forum 2