• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

tips for ongoing conversation

J

Janedoe543

Has anyone learned any helpful tips from CBT or therapy that helps to keep conversation going with friends/ colleagues you see often? I dread meeting friends that I meet regularly incase I have no more conversation and then they think I'm unsociable and awkward

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah that can be tough when you're not a big talker or just not in the talking mood. It helps if the other(s) are talkers in that case. But if you're a good listener, that helps, people love that. You don't need to say much then and just showing you're interested in what they want to say is all you need to do, most of the time. If you're not actually interested in what they're saying, hmm, not sure.. but people usually notice when someone is not interested in what they are saying, and change the subject or stop talking about it, or whatever.

A

AuroraSage

@Janedoeyou can just start by making small talk. Ask them how their doing and how their days going you can also ask if theres any tv shows they like or anything their interested in, the important thing is to make that connection. Normally for me, once I find something that were both interested in it just takes off from there. It's even better when it's a really broad topic. If you find a tv show you both like it will be easier to talk to them about that if a new episode came out or anything about the actors. After that you will most likely find yourself making more connections with them and finding out more about that person. I hope this was helpful this is just one way that I have found most helpful, especially since I'm a social type of person and I never shut up!