• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tips for flying?

C

Cooper_1

Hi guys!

I’m flying to Mexico tomorrow (!!) and I am absolutely terrified! Since being diagnosed with panic disorder I’ve been finding it really difficult to cope outside my home because I feel like that is my safe place.

I also have extreme health anxiety, so when I have a panic attack I do not believe it is ‘just’ a panic attack... I think I’m going to stop breathing, I’m dying, and I’m convinced I need to go to the hospital to get medical attention immediately etc... it’s truly awful :( and this is why I’m so scared for the plane, at home when I have a panic attack I go outside to get fresh air, there’s even been a few times where I’ve been to hospital out of fear it’s something else... on the plane I’m not in control, for 11 hours, there is no way of me getting medical attention 30,000 ft in the sky if something happens!

How can I accept that my panic attacks are panic attacks? Because this is a big part of the problem?

Also does anyone have any tips for flying feeling like this? Someone mentioned telling the cabin crew before I fly so I feel comforted!

Please help me guys with any reassurance/ relatable stories! I can’t be the only one....

O

ontheroadagain

Wow, Mexico sounds amazing! You’re gonna have an amazing time when you get there ☺

I’d definitely agree that telling a member of the cabin crew (or even an airline representative at the airport in advance) is a great idea, because you know someone will check up on you. I’ve done the same before and it helped enormously.

If you feel you need some ‘fresh’ air, I’d recommend wandering down to the galley where the cabin crew are. It’s generally a little fresher, and the cabin crew are always happy to talk to you - especially if they know how you’re feeling. I personally also like taking a breather near the door, where it’s cooler and you can see outside. If you can, also grab some cool wipes or a mist-type spray from Boots when you’re through security. Something cool on the back of your neck, and plenty of ice from the crew for your drinks or to crunch, will help keep you in check.

People dispute whether things like this help, but it makes me feel better so I hope I’m okay saying it - if something was medically wrong (which it won’t be - it’s a complete hypothetical) then the crew are trained for most things, and the plane can land somewhere if they need additional attention. That WON’T happen. But remember that planes can land if they need to, and that helps to remove the element of panic of having no identifiable way out if there really was something wrong.

Because of the length of the flight, I like to break it down into segments - they can be anything. It could be X number of films, Y number of Spotify albums, or Z number of half-hour blocks. Whatever works for you.

And remember - you’re going to have such an incredible time! You don’t need to enjoy the flight necessarily, as it’s just a means to an end. You’re taking the flight to get to an amazing holiday, and you’re going to love every second of being there.

Make sure you let us know how you get on! ☺

C

Cooper_1

Wow, Mexico sounds amazing! You’re gonna have an amazing time when you get there ☺

I’d definitely agree that telling a member of the cabin crew (or even an airline representative at the airport in advance) is a great idea, because you know someone will check up on you. I’ve done the same before and it helped enormously.

If you feel you need some ‘fresh’ air, I’d recommend wandering down to the galley where the cabin crew are. It’s generally a little fresher, and the cabin crew are always happy to talk to you - especially if they know how you’re feeling. I personally also like taking a breather near the door, where it’s cooler and you can see outside. If you can, also grab some cool wipes or a mist-type spray from Boots when you’re through security. Something cool on the back of your neck, and plenty of ice from the crew for your drinks or to crunch, will help keep you in check.

People dispute whether things like this help, but it makes me feel better so I hope I’m okay saying it - if something was medically wrong (which it won’t be - it’s a complete hypothetical) then the crew are trained for most things, and the plane can land somewhere if they need additional attention. That WON’T happen. But remember that planes can land if they need to, and that helps to remove the element of panic of having no identifiable way out if there really was something wrong.

Because of the length of the flight, I like to break it down into segments - they can be anything. It could be X number of films, Y number of Spotify albums, or Z number of half-hour blocks. Whatever works for you.

And remember - you’re going to have such an incredible time! You don’t need to enjoy the flight necessarily, as it’s just a means to an end. You’re taking the flight to get to an amazing holiday, and you’re going to love every second of being there.

Make sure you let us know how you get on! ☺
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply, it has really comforted me. Music tends to help my irrational thoughts so I will definitely take your advice and make a few Spotify playlists, and i was thinking of taking a few games to play to pass time!

It’s also nice hearing that the crew are trained and that the plane could land if something were to happen! I’m definitely going to tell the cabin crew that I suffer with panic attacks as I feel like It will make me more comforted knowing that they’re aware!

And thank you for the tips, I have a cooling mist spray but I know you can’t take that through so I will try and purchase one in boots before I board as fresh air and water really help me!

Thank you once again for you kindness! I know I will enjoy Mexico once I get there! I’m so lucky and don’t want this fear to ruin it! I will keep you posted :)