• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tips for Coping with Anger and Other Emotions

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

I feel like I'm pretty good with controlling my emotions...(maybe? maybe not?), but I've just been super angry lately with my emotional buttons being pressed, and I could use all the help I can get. So, tips anyone?
Thanks

B

BeStrong2020

Perhaps it was caused by your life style? Have you had a change of habit lately?

L

LokiPokey75

Lots of people s
I feel like I'm pretty good with controlling my emotions...(maybe? maybe not?), but I've just been super angry lately with my emotional buttons being pressed, and I could use all the help I can get. So, tips anyone?
Thanks
Lots of people say meditation, but I found that identifying the true source of your anger is one of the most helpful things you can do to combat it. Sometimes, we think something is the cause of our emotions when it's really not. What is at the core of your anger issues? If you can identify it, you can learn to move past it.

Spend some time with yourself (hopefully you're quarantining like the rest of us!) and write down what you think are the problems. Then draw lines to those causes and see if you can come up with a deeper explanation. Oftentimes, it seems like it's multiple things that are bothering us but there's usually one root cause. Nourish the root; save the tree!

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Bestrong- yes, some changes

Lokipokey- I kinda have an idea of the cause, but I haven't been able to do anything about it really yet. :/ I'm still trying some things tho

Thanks folks!

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

I got curious and did some digging myself. Found a few good reads.

This one felt good advice for me and makes me realize why it can actually be a good thing to have anger, if action is needed (as I feel in my case). But how to control it to use it effectively is key too

And this one, particularly the "do you need counseling" tab that talks about "assertive training". That would probably be very beneficial to both me and my partner.

This one, I feel is good advice for my partner when he gets angry with me, which causes me to get angry with him

And finally, just a general checklist of things to try,

but I'm seriously thinking about that "assertive training" now, for both me and my partner. I wish he weren't so stubborn...but maybe he's starting to listen. Tonight we talked a little bit in a calm relaxed manner. So, here's to holding onto that positive thought! :)

Blooming

Blooming

We can all be angry from time to time, but it seems like you feel that you have been too angry and may be frightened if it can happen again. That you are aware of it tells that you are on your way to find a master it better (next time). Assertivness is a good way ... ;)

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

We can all be angry from time to time, but it seems like you feel that you have been too angry and may be frightened if it can happen again. That you are aware of it tells that you are on your way to find a master it better (next time). Assertivness is a good way ... ;)
Lol I completely forgot this was MY thread! It's because I'm generally so good natured. :innocent: :) But no, some things really do peeve me. What I was peeved about though when I wrote this, has been resolved, so I'm actually very happy right now! :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts though! <3

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Self Help and Mental Health 13