• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Tips for body neutrality/acceptance?

Evenly Spaced Tiles

Evenly Spaced Tiles

i always try to just imagine there is something that i can do to appease every chakra in my body i know it's cliche but i like the colors and when i feel like i have a "problem" i consult the areas according to the different chakras and based on their colors i just feel like they are entertaining for me to focus on and believe that exposure to the specific colors are going to help me resolve.

for example if i have butterflies in my stomach i know its solar plexus and yellow things including the sunlight are going to help me, and then if i have palpitations i can expect green things to qwell those, and then if i sort of feel lost i also just try to imagine aligning the entire rainbow from the red to the pink, and its supposed to go along my spine which, mine needs tlc cause i have been sitting too long

Evenly Spaced Tiles

Evenly Spaced Tiles

and then i like to pretend which it is childish but my favorite thing to do anyway to feel like a happy little rainbow

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Maybe viewing your body as a blessing as it allows you to live might help? It functions (hopefully fairly well) to let you breathe, think, walk, feel, see, hear, hug someone, and all those other things. In thay way, all bodies are worthy and beautiful.

This may sound weird, but sometimes I look at my cat - eating, grooming himself, sleeping. His body / physical being to me is beautiful, and all animals are beautiful no matter how they look. Their breed, colour, shape, size, etc. And my cat just accepts himself. He eats when he's hungry and grooms himself to be clean. That's it. He isn't worried about how he looks. It's quite a freeing way to imagine being.

M

Mary26

Have an existential crisis - that did it for me 😁
Me too. And I felt like Socrates questioning everything. But eventually I did get a sense of who I was without the eating disorder and why I was here. Hope you did too.

S

SadRainbow

Me too. And I felt like Socrates questioning everything. But eventually I did get a sense of who I was without the eating disorder and why I was here. Hope you did too.
For me it was a very harsh feeling that everything is meaningless, that we will all be swallowed up into the past and forgotten. So why do I care so much about what I look like? Very few other people do and before long no one at all will even know I existed. I actually began to like my body then - it is my home, it allows me to experience this existence, with my senses and my emotions. My body is actually a rather marvellous thing in enabling me to do and feel so much. And lucky for me, I also have a handful of people who love me and my body regardless of what it looks like. I still have moments when I wish some things were different - that I was slimmer, that I didn't sweat so much, that my hair was different... But mostly I feel gratitude and kindness towards my body now.

S

SadRainbow

Oh and before that, having a baby helped - growing another human being inside me and breast feeding her was pretty amazing. I was really pleased my body did such a good job - my baby was big, strong, healthy, alert and beautiful 🙂