• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tips about walking outdoors

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Hi everyone, I just recently started CBT and I’m supposed to take a short walk every day for at least 2 weeks. We can say I’ve only walked twice this week outside the yard. One to the therapy and the other was the walk.

Every time I’m going to walk outdoors, I worry of running into people and I become tense. I don’t get panic attacks, I only struggle with tensing up and worrying a lot which ends up with me holding myself not to cry. Truly annoying needing to fight back my tears and feeling stressed.

Do any of you have any tips to make it a bit easier. I always listen to music when walking outdoors and try to zone out a bit. My little brother is still not home. So I can’t go out on walks with him and he will also need to heal up when he comes back home.

So I would gladly take a few tips.

jajingna

jajingna

Can you walk along less popular routes where people are few, or choose a time of day where they are fewer? Is it people you know that you don't want to see, or just anybody?

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Can you walk along less popular routes where people are few, or choose a time of day where they are fewer? Is it people you know that you don't want to see, or just anybody?
It’s anybody, even though I know I won’t run into a lot of people. I’m still feeling dread and a fear. For example: I had my little brother go with me into the forest, because I couldn’t walk into the forest alone. I also dragged my bunny Odin with me, so when my little brother went away I could at least focus on Odin. Even taking a walk in the forest and I managed to run into people.

Today I only saw 4 people while taking a walk outdoors. So I just feel so stupid and cowardly, when I always feel scared. Even though the town would classified as empty the times I’m out.

jajingna

jajingna

That's tough. I don't mind seeing strangers so much, but sometimes get that awkward feeling seeing someone I know, even just to say how ya doing? But I greet strangers sometimes too. My town has maybe 12000 people, not bad for walking around, and that's one of hobbies, just walking and usually buying something, mostly groceries.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I struggle very much with this. I go out with my dog so that helps me. I can't do it alone. I know you mentioned your bunny. I do think having something to focus on other than other humans is helpful. Has your therapist given you any tips on how to make it possible. I hope it does get easier for you x

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
That's tough. I don't mind seeing strangers so much, but sometimes get that awkward feeling seeing someone I know, even just to say how ya doing? But I greet strangers sometimes too. My town has maybe 12000 people, not bad for walking around, and that's one of hobbies, just walking and usually buying something, mostly groceries.
It’s not easy handling the fears but at least I’m not at my worse. My town only have maybe 19.000 people but it’s quite empty most days. My town is more like a commuter city, the reason why you don’t run into a lot of people. I somehow always manage to run into people I know. Some wants to have a small talk and others will just give a smile and so on.

I struggle very much with this. I go out with my dog so that helps me. I can't do it alone. I know you mentioned your bunny. I do think having something to focus on other than other humans is helpful. Has your therapist given you any tips on how to make it possible. I hope it does get easier for you x
My therapist right now is trying to get a feel about me still. I just started to go, so I haven’t got any tips. Last time I talked it was more focus about my depression. So the walking outdoors is supposed to help with my depression which backfires when I don’t want to walk outdoors because of my social phobia. I’m even uncomfortable exercising at home because it will also make me feel dread and fear 😩

I find it easier having my bunny but people will stare more when they see me with Odin. So it becomes worse when people are around, even though Odin calms me down. He have followed me on a few car trips but mostly out to the forest or the different nature reserve/ parks around my place.

I will see if I can get a few tips from my therapist later on how to better cope.

Here’s a picture of Odin with his harness and vest after a walk. EF1AC0DB-8B73-4DE6-8B48-9831D2549A63.jpeg

A bit more fitting when nearing halloween.
122D155C-76B5-44F3-9F11-D5FB011786D6.jpeg

Thanks for replying ☺

jajingna

jajingna

Odin is so cute. It amazes me, rabbits can stay still for quite a while. A few times I've seen one, and then saw it again like I dunno, as long as 10 or more minutes later, and still like a statue.

K

Keesha

Oh goodness. Of course you will bump into others with Odin around. Just look how utterly adorable he is. Omg! Melt!
I walk everyday with my dogs and can testify that it certainly helps depression and anxiety.
I think after I while you will desensitize yourself somewhat to fearing others while out walking. Most people are more interested in what they are doing than what you are doing except when you have something THIS cute.😂🥰❤
Ive has a total of 3 bunnies and they were all litter and harness trained to go for walks. One we took camping with us.

Do you have a camera? Perhaps taking photos of all the beautiful things you see in the forest could be a good distraction from your nervousness.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Oh goodness. Of course you will bump into others with Odin around. Just look how utterly adorable he is. Omg! Melt!
I walk everyday with my dogs and can testify that it certainly helps depression and anxiety.
I think after I while you will desensitize yourself somewhat to fearing others while out walking. Most people are more interested in what they are doing than what you are doing except when you have something THIS cute.😂🥰❤
Ive has a total of 3 bunnies and they were all litter and harness trained to go for walks. One we took camping with us.

Do you have a camera? Perhaps taking photos of all the beautiful things you see in the forest could be a good distraction from your nervousness.
Odin is a small cutie, he’s the most desensitized of my bunnies because I got him since he was 8 weeks old. He can jump loose without harness but I go with harness when outside the yard. Because my area is where many people have dogs. When I had my french lop people mistook her for a dog because she was so big 😂

I use my phone when taking pictures but I get super nervous when I’m going to take a picture and can be a bit jumpy 😩

Attachments

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used to walk around slouched with my head down feeling all self-conscious and uptight trying to be invisible. One day I realised this had the opposite effect and drew people's attention to me.
Then I was doing a holistic course and someone said if you're faced with people, say in a busy street, focus on a point in the distance and think in your mind that point is my goal. Then walk with big strides, body open, head held high and go for it.
As part of a group we took turns doing this on the busiest street in Edinburgh. It worked wonders. People literally parted like the red sea and when I reached my end point I felt so much stronger and confident.
I still do it nowadays when in busy places and smile to myself when I have a free path to where I'm going. Easier said than done when you feel low or depressed I know. 🙂

T

techguy2020

Hi everyone, I just recently started CBT and I’m supposed to take a short walk every day for at least 2 weeks. We can say I’ve only walked twice this week outside the yard. One to the therapy and the other was the walk.

Every time I’m going to walk outdoors, I worry of running into people and I become tense. I don’t get panic attacks, I only struggle with tensing up and worrying a lot which ends up with me holding myself not to cry. Truly annoying needing to fight back my tears and feeling stressed.

Do any of you have any tips to make it a bit easier. I always listen to music when walking outdoors and try to zone out a bit. My little brother is still not home. So I can’t go out on walks with him and he will also need to heal up when he comes back home.

So I would gladly take a few tips.
I walk most days, maybe try wearing a hat and a face mask because I heard that a face mask can feel less anxious and more confident in social situations. Go to this link Wearing Face Masks Is Helping Sufferers of Social Anxiety, Study Says to find out why masks can be good for social anxiety. Best of luck🤞

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I walk most days, maybe try wearing a hat and a face mask because I heard that a face mask can feel less anxious and more confident in social situations. Go to this link Wearing Face Masks Is Helping Sufferers of Social Anxiety, Study Says to find out why masks can be good for social anxiety. Best of luck🤞
facial mask will make me stick out like a bright christmas tree. In sweden nearly no people use facial mask, so when you do it everyone will stare 😂

So a mask will just make it worse, I take walks when I have to go to places. It’s just that I can’t enjoy a normal walk. Because I just don’t think it’s worth facing my fears, if I don’t have a goal or place with why I’m going out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Social Anxiety Forum 4