• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tingling in arms and legs? A result of chronic anxiety or MS?

R

RunnerBean

Hi all,

I've posted here before and since my last post I have been feeling a little better I guess, at least to the point where I've been managing to not google all of my strange symptoms and, as part of that, I've been trying to stay away from forums etc.

But, I've just been through a very strange and unsettling experience, and was hoping to hear that some others may have been through something similar.

As a quick bit of background, in November 2019 I experienced a bit of dizziness and parasthesia in my left arm, then my left leg, and finally my right leg. I have become terrified that I have MS and have been to see my GP who doesn't seem overly concerned, but has still referred me to a neurologist. This being the NHS in 2020, the turnaround time for a routine neurology referral is 12 months so I'm still waiting, as patiently as I can.

However, I also suffer from anxiety which waxes and wanes in its level of intensity. I probably should make it clear that the physical symptoms I have described also seem to come and go and vary in their level of intensity. And I am aware that these symptoms can also be caused by anxiety. Indeed, my doctor is working pretty much along those lines, and I am hopeful that this is "all" it is.

Recently, I have started to get twitching muscles in my right, and to a lesser extent, my left leg. I have managed to rationalise with myself that this is also down to anxiety, perhaps due to me feeling under stress for such a prolonged period of time. I also think that the onset of these occurred shortly after I experienced what I would describe as a mild panic attack a few weeks ago.

What has really scared me however, is that just this morning, I woke from my sleep in the middle of the night to feel my left and right forearms, and my right lower leg, really tingling. I thought that I had perhaps been sleeping on them funny, and moved them around a bit, but when the sensations didn't go away, I started to panic. This obviously hasn't helped the symptoms go away, but I'm wondering if I may have had a panic attack in my sleep? I didn't feel particularly panicked when I woke until I noticed these strange symptoms, and I was dreaming, but I don't recall the dream being particularly anxious.

As of two hours after this happened, my left and right arms feel a little better, but my hands still feel kind of "half-numb" and my right leg is tingling like crazy.

I'm starting to get very tired of all of this. I am terrified that I might have MS, and as much as I try and rationalise that my symptoms are "just anxiety" or that "I could live with it", it is very genuine fear for me and has been prominent in my thoughts for almost a year now. As such, I know that I have been living in a state of chronic anxiety for that length of time. I have been patient in waiting to see the neurologist, but I think that I'm finding it harder to wait as more time passes. I have been trying CBT, breathing exercises, etc, but when the symptoms return all of that goes out of the window and I do feel myself panicking. Part of my problem is that as much as I try to use these coping strategies, I know that I will not be able to feel closure until I have seen and spoken to a neurologist.

Has anybody else here experienced such strange sensations of tingling/partial numbness in their limbs for such a prolonged period of time and subsequently found out that those symptoms were "only" due to anxiety?

Any encouraging words or kind thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

T

Taffy

Hi, I have had some numbness and tingling for over a year in both feet? I have anxiety also but don't think it's because of that. My Dr. wants me to have tests done. I haven't done that yet. Hope you get good news.

W

WanderingA

I get tingling all down my left side when I'm panicking even when I'm not it starts then it makes me panic.. I think it's part of the anxiety. Get checked out just to be sure. But I was adimant I had sepsis cause I had a broken tooth that to my own fault was left and it got to the point where my anxiety was so bad I generally thought I had sepsis. I had the tooth removed and now I feel fine.. Anxiety can do all sorts to your body without you even meaning too. You could think of one thing and not think about it again but in the back of your mind it's still there so your still subconscious thinking about it..

C

cha05

I have the same experience 2 weeks ago. The reason I dragged myself to the clinic. I felt that tingling sensation all over my left fingers then up to my left arm then my left feet up to my left leg. And then to my right as well. Then on my head. Like as if my sight was in a heightened mode. I'm having hard time breathing too and felt cold. My BP 130/101 and pulse rate 106.

Been on medication for lowering my BP and PR. My cholesterol is also high the rest is normal and yes that includes my ECG and Xray.

My doctor said maybe I'm stressed. The also said that the diagnosis is Anxiety.

I am having hard time dealing with my father's health. And been afraid. I have brothers and sisters but can't help thinking too much. I'm not used seeing my father in such state.

47char63

Hey there, I woke up with tingling/pins and needles in my arm one day around 2 years ago which spread throughout most of my body and it's only just very recently started to subside. I also worried about ms and other neurological type of things as I have been battling with quite bad health anxiety for a few years now. I've also been getting muscle twitches and spasms throughout my whole body (but mainly in calves) for the past 2 months and I've also been suffering with a dizzy/woozy/tipsy type of feelings constantly for the past 4 months. I've went through phases of not being able to cope with daily life and waking up every morning convinced I am dying because all these symptoms can't be 'normal'. I've been to the doctors and had tests etc loads of times and all come back fine. I've now just began to learn to live with these symptoms and try to accept them as anxiety and nothing sinister and I'm slowly starting to feel them lessen. Hopefully you can too x

R

RunnerBean

Thank you everyone for your replies.

It can be reassuring to hear that other people have gone through, or are going through, similar experiences and to hear that those experiences have been attributed to anxiety.

Char and WanderingA in particular, thank you very much. Your experiences sound very similar to mine. Char, the sensations that you have been experiencing sound almost identical to those that I am experiencing. I hope that in time, these feelings pass for us all, and that we emerge as stronger people.

Health anxiety is a horrible, horrible thing. In my time I have become fixated on various conditions that I have been convinced I have, but I have to realise that, as a sufferer or health anxiety, there is a very good chance that the symptoms I am experiencing are as a result of that. I have been worrying constantly about MS for about 9 months now, with some really, really anxious days during that time frame so it is possibly no surprise that my body is reacting.

Thank you again. x

D

Dizzy23

Hi all,

I've posted here before and since my last post I have been feeling a little better I guess, at least to the point where I've been managing to not google all of my strange symptoms and, as part of that, I've been trying to stay away from forums etc.

But, I've just been through a very strange and unsettling experience, and was hoping to hear that some others may have been through something similar.

As a quick bit of background, in November 2019 I experienced a bit of dizziness and parasthesia in my left arm, then my left leg, and finally my right leg. I have become terrified that I have MS and have been to see my GP who doesn't seem overly concerned, but has still referred me to a neurologist. This being the NHS in 2020, the turnaround time for a routine neurology referral is 12 months so I'm still waiting, as patiently as I can.

However, I also suffer from anxiety which waxes and wanes in its level of intensity. I probably should make it clear that the physical symptoms I have described also seem to come and go and vary in their level of intensity. And I am aware that these symptoms can also be caused by anxiety. Indeed, my doctor is working pretty much along those lines, and I am hopeful that this is "all" it is.

Recently, I have started to get twitching muscles in my right, and to a lesser extent, my left leg. I have managed to rationalise with myself that this is also down to anxiety, perhaps due to me feeling under stress for such a prolonged period of time. I also think that the onset of these occurred shortly after I experienced what I would describe as a mild panic attack a few weeks ago.

What has really scared me however, is that just this morning, I woke from my sleep in the middle of the night to feel my left and right forearms, and my right lower leg, really tingling. I thought that I had perhaps been sleeping on them funny, and moved them around a bit, but when the sensations didn't go away, I started to panic. This obviously hasn't helped the symptoms go away, but I'm wondering if I may have had a panic attack in my sleep? I didn't feel particularly panicked when I woke until I noticed these strange symptoms, and I was dreaming, but I don't recall the dream being particularly anxious.

As of two hours after this happened, my left and right arms feel a little better, but my hands still feel kind of "half-numb" and my right leg is tingling like crazy.

I'm starting to get very tired of all of this. I am terrified that I might have MS, and as much as I try and rationalise that my symptoms are "just anxiety" or that "I could live with it", it is very genuine fear for me and has been prominent in my thoughts for almost a year now. As such, I know that I have been living in a state of chronic anxiety for that length of time. I have been patient in waiting to see the neurologist, but I think that I'm finding it harder to wait as more time passes. I have been trying CBT, breathing exercises, etc, but when the symptoms return all of that goes out of the window and I do feel myself panicking. Part of my problem is that as much as I try to use these coping strategies, I know that I will not be able to feel closure until I have seen and spoken to a neurologist.

Has anybody else here experienced such strange sensations of tingling/partial numbness in their limbs for such a prolonged period of time and subsequently found out that those symptoms were "only" due to anxiety?

Any encouraging words or kind thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.
You have the exact same symptoms as me!! I wake up during the night with it too! I’ve had it for 3 months now. I have an appointment with neurology next month.

R

RunnerBean

You have the exact same symptoms as me!! I wake up during the night with it too! I’ve had it for 3 months now. I have an appointment with neurology next month.

I wish you well with your appointment Dizzy. Would you please let me know how you get on? You can private message me if you like. Best wishes.

L

Laudanum

Yes, I had tingling and numbness in both legs for almost 12 months, which went off and now I have intermittent tightness in my legs. Doctors didn't think it was anything serious

R

RunnerBean

Thanks Laudanum.

I feel like I'm losing my mind here. I've recently been waking up to numbness in my hands which is a little distressing to say the least.

Roll on this neurology referral......

R

RunnerBean

@Laudanum did you even wake up in the mornings with numbness? This is the latest symptom I am experiencing and it is absolutely freaking me out.

Does anyone else with anxiety wake up to a feeling of numbness in their hands?

L

Laudanum

@Laudanum did you even wake up in the mornings with numbness? This is the latest symptom I am experiencing and it is absolutely freaking me out.

Does anyone else with anxiety wake up to a feeling of numbness in their hands?
Actually, the numbness tended to come on during the day.

Is yours a true numbness - ie can you feel it if you pinch your hands?

R

RunnerBean

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, it's not a true numbness, I can feel my hands, but there is definitely an altered sensation there. This morning my right thumb feels like someone grabbed my nail and squeezed it! Weird.

I feel like I'm having a bit of a better day today and seem to be having some success in believing that all of these symptoms are down to anxiety. I just hope they are!

L

Laudanum

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No, it's not a true numbness, I can feel my hands, but there is definitely an altered sensation there. This morning my right thumb feels like someone grabbed my nail and squeezed it! Weird.

I feel like I'm having a bit of a better day today and seem to be having some success in believing that all of these symptoms are down to anxiety. I just hope they are!
A doctor I saw believed that real numbness was more likely a symptom of neurological disease than if you can feel something.

R

RunnerBean

A doctor I saw believed that real numbness was more likely a symptom of neurological disease than if you can feel something.
Thanks man, that’s reassuring. 😊

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Anxiety Forum 7
A Anxiety Forum 0