• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Time to see a doctor?

J

jinx31

I'm having a bit of a rough time at the moment. It is due to dating with social anxiety, which I made a post about on Sunday... Dating with social anxiety

After constant dating knock-backs, I'm really struggling to see a positive future in that regard, which is getting me down in a big way. The post the other day was the very first time I "spoke" about it with anyone. Yesterday I discussed it with friends and my mum.. I even made a facebook status telling everyone (that was a scary move!).

People have suggested I see a doctor to talk things through and see what they suggest. My question is, what would the procedure of the appointment be? What would they ask? What may they suggest? Most importantly, would it really be worthwhile? Can I actually 'get better'?

K

karl7

i have social anxiety myself.....it holds me back, i have only ever been on one date when i was 18 and it wsa bloody awful, it lasted about 5 hrs, id rather not have had the experience but anyway im 44 now, yeah im over that but still have never managed to have a girlfriend (abd yeah im still a virgin) but im over that, i forget about it, id just like to haev some friends, well a freind would be a start but ive been friendless for 14 yrs and counting.

K

karl7

I'm having a bit of a rough time at the moment. It is due to dating with social anxiety, which I made a post about on Sunday... Dating with social anxiety

After constant dating knock-backs, I'm really struggling to see a positive future in that regard, which is getting me down in a big way. The post the other day was the very first time I "spoke" about it with anyone. Yesterday I discussed it with friends and my mum.. I even made a facebook status telling everyone (that was a scary move!).

People have suggested I see a doctor to talk things through and see what they suggest. My question is, what would the procedure of the appointment be? What would they ask? What may they suggest? Most importantly, would it really be worthwhile? Can I actually 'get better'?
also you may be interested int he dating website for mentally ill folk, its called www.nolongerlonely.com this is a site where you cab be very open about having a mental illness and to date

J

jinx31

i have social anxiety myself.....it holds me back, i have only ever been on one date when i was 18 and it wsa bloody awful, it lasted about 5 hrs, id rather not have had the experience but anyway im 44 now, yeah im over that but still have never managed to have a girlfriend (abd yeah im still a virgin) but im over that, i forget about it, id just like to haev some friends, well a freind would be a start but ive been friendless for 14 yrs and counting.
That's a very brave post, I respect it a lot. Have you ever spoken to a professional about your anxiety?

K

karl7

im seeing a psychiatrist since i was 22, i used to see him privately but then i changed to the public system as it was free.....i currently have a mental health team that consists of a psychiatrist, psychologist, CPN, occupational therapist ....the reason i tell you is im from ireland and the irish health system is based on the UK NHS.....so you would have access to something similar

B

bpd2020

How brave of you to have told your family you have a social phobia. I think you should be so proud. There are therapies for social phobia. I think it is a good idea to talk to your doctor about it.