• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

time to say hello...

O

OwenA

Founding Member
Hi everyone...

My name is Owen and I am 31 years of age.

I have been floating around this site for a few days now and feel it time to introduce myself and start asking those awkward questions in an attempt to get some help or answers - and of course, try to make some new friends... or should I say just make friends...

A little bit of background info about me - I am currently on Mirtazapine for another bout of depression and self-harming... I have had depression on and off for a long time 5 - 6 years (was recently on fluoxetine - but they really messed with my head).

It recently came to light (16 months ago) that I was sexual abused as a young boy (around 8/9 years of age). Although the memories of this abuse was suppressed for neary 22 years, (and since the flashbacks I have attempted suicide 3 times (last one ended in a Psychiatric Hospital and no serious mental health issues were raised) I have functioned nearly all my life with many of the symptoms of having many several personality disorders. This could, and would of course explain why I am like I am with people and life in general but I am interested to know if the abuse could bring on such disorders???? or the disorders were already there and I am trying to fit something that doesn't fit...

Also - in a sad attempt of finding out, I have carried out a few 'online personality tests' (I know not the most realiable sources) and whislt I am not supprised by the outcomes of the tests (Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal, Boarderline and Avoidant) - how would I go about getting 'medically' tested? Is it just a case of asking to be referred by my Doctor? Would I be risking it trying to tag a 'label' on myself? I can fully relate to all the above disorders but would like to know...

Many thanks and sorry if the above sounds confusing...:confused:

Owen

A

Anne1971

Founding Member
Hi Owen

Hi and welcome to the site, I'm quite new here myself. Its a great place to talk things through with people who have been or are going through similar situations.

I completely identify with your comment about finding friends, me too.

Hope you can find some answers

O

OwenA

Founding Member
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking through the forum and trying to get involved with some of the threads... I think I am going to like it here...

Hope you are well and catch up with you soon...

Owen

M

margarete1967

Founding Member
Hi Owen

Hello and welcome.
I was reading your post and felt I had to let you know I can relate to a lot of what you said.
I too was sexually abused from an early age. I chose to block out the bad memories until recently. For some reason the ugly images have been popping back in my head and totally messing me up.
i have suffered depression on and off for about 10 years and I never knew why it always came back, until now. I think the abuse has been buried somewhere at the back of my mind, which i chose to leave in the past.
i saw a counsellor a couple of weeks ago and told her everything that I could remember. She thinks the abuse is also a trigger. She said she will work with me and help me as best she can, the only downfall was that she couldnt see me for at least 3 months due to funding. This was a right blow for me as I felt ready to confront things. I dont know if in 3 months I will be able to drag it all back up.
Also I struggle really hard to make friends. I dont have a true friend as im not very trusting of people. In fact I have more male friends who I talk to than females. this is only because I seem to be agony aunt to all my husbands pals.
Gosh! I cant even sort my own life out.
Anyway Owen, remember you are not suffering alone.
Take care

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Welcome to the site Owen.

I'm also a newbie here but have found the site a great help and hope that you do too. Post away with everything and anything - there are so many people on the forum with so many different experiences that chances are someone will have had a similar experience. Oh and if you can - enjoy it too!

D

Dollit

Hi Owen, the internet is a wonderful place but it's not a good idea to try and diagnose yourself. I could fit into any of the listings in DSM IV if I approached it with enough forethought.

Talk to your GP about how you feel and ask him/her if they think a referral to a psych will help.

We often try to find explanations that aren't necessarily there just to get answers that can't always be answered. Take it steady and concentrate on the things you can do to help yourself each day. For me this consists of copious amounts of chocolate and tea but each to their own.

Keep coming back.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Hi Owen and :welcome:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hi Owen and :welcome: to the forum - good to have you here.

Rollinat

O

OwenA

Founding Member
thanks to everyone for your replies...

Margarete1967 - thanks for letting me in on such a sensitive matter. It really annoys me when counselling for this sort of thing takes so long... I was lucky in a way as my works paid for my counselling after I was found slumped over my desk after taking a massive overdose with a bottle of whiskey. I'd been waiting for nearly 5 months to see a counsellor through my GP.:(

Dollit - thanks for your advise, I will try and see the doctor soon. I know the web is no place to self diagnose... I think we could all read a medical journal and end up diagnosing ourself with everything under the sun... my problem is that I have 2 psych nurses in the family and I think there are trying to help diagnose me... although, I noticed the misses has been reviewed my life insurance policy;)

I think I will keep coming back as I think I am going to like it here...:D

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Owen and :welcome: to MHF :hug:

You will enjoy returning here as we are all helpful and supportive in a non -judgemental way. :)

Have a look thro' the other threads too and join in when you are ready, hope to talk with you soon :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Introduce Yourself 2
DwarfRabbit Introduce Yourself 7
A Introduce Yourself 6
J Introduce Yourself 12
confusedrock Introduce Yourself 2